Bella P

TMI, But I Am Freaking Out!

I’m sorry to post about this, I know it’s gross, but I am scared. Warning: This post mentions stool (poop).

3-4 days ago I woke up with horrible neck pain from sleeping wrong and my mom gave me a muscle relaxer to try and ease the pain. Ever since then, I’ve had some trouble. My stool has been thinner than normal and I’ve felt constipated. Today I ate beans and other foods with fiber in them to see if it would help. Just a few minutes ago I went to the bathroom and when I saw the toilet I immediately got scared. I wasn’t able to go much, and on my stool was what looked like a white and somewhat fuzzy film. When I saw it, I immediately thought of mucus, and remembered that it can be a really bad sign. 

Is this from the muscle relaxer or is there something really wrong with me? I’m really scared. I’m trying to stay calm, but I’m finding it extremely difficult to :( 

Edit: I should also mention that I am on a few other medications. I have PCOS, so I take medicine to regulate my menstrual cycle. I also take clonazepam for anxiety and panic attacks. Recently, after a blood test showed my thyroid is a little under-active, I was put on the lowest dose of levothyroxine for that. I’ve only been on it for a few weeks. 

Edited by Bella P
Other information that might be helpful. I also corrected a spelling error.

The muscle relaxer may have caused constipation. Mucus is a classic sign of IBS and I have had the same thing happen to me. My GI physician told me a long time ago to drink plenty of water which will help being more regular. 

8 hours ago, MARC said:

The muscle relaxer may have caused constipation. Mucus is a classic sign of IBS and I have had the same thing happen to me. My GI physician told me a long time ago to drink plenty of water which will help being more regular. 

Could constipation cause the thinning and mucus? 

I’ve actually been wondering if I have IBS lately. I want to bring it up to my doctor, but I don’t know how to. It’s embarrassing and I already have so much going on. Stress could also be a factor in all of this. I don’t know. I’m still pretty scared.

For sure it could cause your symtoms, as can stress. 

7 hours ago, MARC said:

For sure it could cause your symtoms, as can stress. 

Today the mucus appeared again, but there wasn’t much. I’ve been drinking a lot of water, that may have helped, and the medicine should be getting out of my system soon. I think it’s starting to get better, which is good, but I’m still scared. 

I’m sorry this is such a gross topic of conversation. Thank you for helping me and commenting. 

Please stop looking at your bowl movements. That would be my first advice. Have you had counseling for anxiety? To learn what it all can do and how to cope? 

My best Wishes and be assured, anxiety doesn't last forever. What you are going through right now is temporary. 

6 hours ago, MsLLL said:

Please stop looking at your bowl movements. That would be my first advice. Have you had counseling for anxiety? To learn what it all can do and how to cope? 

My best Wishes and be assured, anxiety doesn't last forever. What you are going through right now is temporary. 

I usually don’t, but when I noticed something was wrong, I felt I had to check to make sure it didn’t get worse.

Yes, I have, and I am on medication for it. It’s a new one I’m being tried on since I randomly had an allergic reaction to a medicine I’d been on for years that helped me with anxiety and depression. I just moved fairly recently, though, so not everything is ideal. I’m seeing a new doctor who hasn’t gotten to know me just yet. It’s a process. 

That's wonderful, I'm happy you are proactive about getting better. I think I was wrong in my assessment because I thought you were obsessively scanning. 

4 minutes ago, MsLLL said:

That's wonderful, I'm happy you are proactive about getting better. I think I was wrong in my assessment because I thought you were obsessively scanning. 

I understand why you think that, I wasn’t very clear in my words. It’s alright :) 

I have been trying many coping mechanisms for anxiety, some I’ve used before and some new ones that my doctor has suggested. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don’t. I know it won’t get better right away, but I’m trying hard.

I would voice any concerns you have to your physician. That is what they are there for. It can be difficult to let things go even when you are told you are ok, as symptoms may persist. Over time I believe your fears will lessen. I once had basal cell carcinoma on my nose. It was removed by a Mohs surgeon 10 years ago. He told me there was 99.9% chance it would not come back, not 100%. At first I worried about it and as time went by, I typically dont think about it. I go for regular dermatologist checkups. My dermatologist told me that in medicine there is no such thing as 100% or 0%. I am however at greater risk for reoccurrence.