Sign in to follow this  
Nutmegbella

I am not doing well :(

I was enjoying some sushi watching a movie with the family. Disney movie. And I am surrounded by my kids having a good feeling moment. And then it happens. A round of palpitations that lasted a good few seconds. Long. Made my chest visibly thump with the odd beats. Followed by a sensation in my throat like I was about to start coughing. I have the feeling like I’m winded and I am recovering from a coughing fit. I am feeling dizzy now. I came up to my room and the only thing that made me think maybe it was just a spasm. Was because going up the stairs I had no issues. So that kind of eliminated the heart fear. But you know anxiety, I’m stuck with the what if’s. 

I want to be in the moment with my family. But this stupid thing just kills it for me.

• Like 1

Even if it was actually a run of palpitations, the fact that any exertion (e.g. walking stairs) did not exacerbate it should quell any irrational fears about heart health. I know, I get this as well. It's not abnormal to experience a palpitation from time to time, but it's also not really abnormal to experience a short run of them, over a few/several seconds.

I've mostly learned to live with them. They're still a bit uncomfortable at times, but I try to accept them. They're part of life.

• Thanks 1

Feeling like you need to cough usually comes with the palpitation in my experience. Coughing can actually help return sinus rhythm, that’s why you get that feeling. No need to worry, it only lasted a few seconds and you’re fine. Totally normal.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Iugrad91 said:

Feeling like you need to cough usually comes with the palpitation in my experience. Coughing can actually help return sinus rhythm, that’s why you get that feeling. No need to worry, it only lasted a few seconds and you’re fine. Totally normal.

I also get that. When I have a short run of them, I almost always get the urge to cough. I also remember reading several times that coughing can sometimes STOP a run of palpitations, because it can help return the sinus rhythm as you mentioned.

• Like 1

@bin_tenn it should, but I am still going back and forth with the what if’s. I have talked to a cardiologist and he said the same as you. That most of the time they are harmless, that I shouldn’t worry but I can’t help it.

@Iugrad91 I’ve heard of it before. I have an aunt that went through a period of having many palpitations a day. She wore a heart monitor and they caught them. And she said she always had to cough when she experienced it. And I had brought it up to my doctors at one point. Only for it to be 50/50 on it. And I can’t believe I just remembered this. 

@bin_tenn do you ever get palps that feel like your heart is about to come through your throat? Or do you ever see a visible thumping on your chest? Or some that just leave you thinking: that didn’t feel right?

1 hour ago, Nutmegbella said:

@bin_tenn do you ever get palps that feel like your heart is about to come through your throat? Or do you ever see a visible thumping on your chest? Or some that just leave you thinking: that didn’t feel right?

Yes, I've had those numerous times. When I had my very first panic attack, I could see my chest moving with every heartbeat. I've also felt the "thud" palpitations in my throat. And I've had some that feel "not right."

You *can* help it, it's all about training your mind to not react (not just negatively; don't react at all) to them. That's part of what CBT teaches.

11 hours ago, bin_tenn said:

Yes, I've had those numerous times. When I had my very first panic attack, I could see my chest moving with every heartbeat. I've also felt the "thud" palpitations in my throat. And I've had some that feel "not right."

You *can* help it, it's all about training your mind to not react (not just negatively; don't react at all) to them. That's part of what CBT teaches.

That’s hard with palps for me. To ignore. I just had some right now. Followed by a cold wash come over me. And it’s hard to tell anxiety or real heart issue. My cardiologist said my heart was healthy and didn’t want to see me in 10 years. But he said the same just learn to deal with them. Ignore them. Right now I’m trying not to scare the whole house with my current panic attack :(

3 hours ago, Nutmegbella said:

That’s hard with palps for me. To ignore. I just had some right now. Followed by a cold wash come over me. And it’s hard to tell anxiety or real heart issue. My cardiologist said my heart was healthy and didn’t want to see me in 10 years. But he said the same just learn to deal with them. Ignore them. Right now I’m trying not to scare the whole house with my current panic attack :(

That "cold wash" is a rush of adrenaline. That's also not abnormal. I get that occasionally when I have strong palpitations, and others here have had that as well. I highly recommend researching mindfulness and acceptance. That's been very helpful for me, personally. My cardiologist also said he didn't need to see me for another 10-15 years. :D