RachelStorm98

Ovarian cancer and uterine cancer scare

Oh no! Not again! I am dealing with another health anxiety crisis. This time instead of breast cancer it is both ovarian and uterine cancer. Like oh my god... can't this please just freaking stop already? I am so freaking tired of going to the doctors office. The ovarian cancer thing is scaring me because for the past couple of years, probably since I was about 16 or 17, until now at 20, I have been experiencing many different symptoms of ovarian cancer for the past 4 or 5 years. These include: 

- Changes in my bowel habits. Frequent constipation. I have been constipated a lot over the past year or so. 

- Abdominal bloating and swelling. Now, this one comes and goes, so maybe that is a good thing. 

- I frequently urinate or feel the urge to urinate

- Feeling full quickly when eating. This one is the BIGGEST sign with me. I have noticed that for the past few years. It seems like I feel full eating when I have only eaten a little bit. I noticed this the other night when I was eating dinner at Panda Express. I'm really hoping that is all a coincidence. 😕 I've been experiencing that symptom for the past 4 years. 

- General discomfort in your pelvic area. Yeah... I have this one too. But usually it is during my period cycle. So maybe not a bad thing. 

- I've had upset stomach/gastric issues for the past 4 to 5 years now. 

- Changes in your menstrual cycle. I have always had irregular periods. But I've noticed with some of my period cycles over the years I get spotting etc between periods. And I have had heavy periods that have sometimes lasted up to three weeks. 

So now I am paranoid that I have ovarian cancer as it is the hardest cancer to detect in women. Hence why it is nicknamed the silent killer. 😕 On top of that Ovarian cancer is rare in premenopausal women, and especially in women under 30. I.e. In their 20's. I should mention that I have no family history of ovarian cancer. I am nervous though since young women's concerns aren't taken seriously since doctors think it can't happen to young women or very young women. Newsflash: it can and does happen. 

On top of my ovarian cancer scare, I am also dealing with a uterine cancer scare. :( There is some family history there. My grandmother on my dad's side had uterine cancer... I also have PCOS, so I am at a high risk of developing uterine cancer down the road. I have never had regular cycles and this period is scaring the crap out of me as it seemed like it didn't want to start. It kept on starting and stopping and starting etc. for the past few weeks... I don't really even get a flow it is just... clumps I guess? This is so frustrating... 

Just when I thought I was gonna beat this anxiety. I freaking hate this... :( I am thinking about using a higher dose of CBD oil to treat my anxiety. CBD does keep me chill in the moment but I am on a very low dose. 

You've had these symptoms over YEARS.  Aside from extremely rare types of tumors, ovarian cancer left untreated will kill you within a year or two.  A friend of mine went from diagnosis at stage 4 to passing away in less than a year.   

Endometrial cancer, if you're at a high risk for it, is just something you'll have to talk to your doctor about.  Not in terms of diagnosing - at your age I wouldn't worry about it even if you're extremely high risk - but in terms of how to monitor and what to be alert to.  You've been diagnosed with PCOS (and my sympathies, that shit's the worst), so I'm assuming you have a GYN - ask them what the best way to keep an eye on that is.  They may suggest things like yearly ultrasounds once you're at a certain age to keep an eye on your uterine lining thickness.  Endometrial cancer is highly treatable when caught early, and it doesn't tend to grow fast.  

And if you had metastatic endometrial cancer, or metastatic anything, you'd be incredibly sick. 

• Like 1

Thank you so much for the insight! I can rest easier now. I hate PCOS, but I need to do better to manage it. It's outta control. lol I had a breast cancer scare last year, so I think I have a fear of cancer in general and unfortunately the fear is ruining my life. :( 

Can a Dr tell by an ultrasound if an ovarian cyst is cancerous? This is from my ultrasound. 

RIGHT OVARY AND DOPPLER: Normal size, 2.8 x 2 x 1.6 cm. No worrisome masses. Normal arterial
vascular flow without evidence for torsion.
LEFT OVARY AND DOPPLER: Left ovary is 4.7 x 3.9 x 3.5 cm in size with a 4.6 x 3.1 x 2.7 cm
septated cyst present. No worrisome masses. Normal arterial vascular flow without evidence for
torsion.

Literally says "no worrisome masses."  It's all good.  

I'm terrified of these cancers too; given my weird gyn issues I think my estrogen levels are way off what they should be, and estrogen in high amounts is carcinogenic, so...ugh.  Oh well.  Just gotta stay on top of things and hope for the best, I guess.

I was told I had high estrogen as well. My mom had breast cancer and was told it was from hormones. I get it. 

Okay... Kinda freaking out here. I hope some PCOS girls have some insight on this. My lower side has been aching like crazy and when I went to the bathroom I had gravy colored discharge with the consistency of water or chocolate milk. Is this a normal thing for PCOS or is this something to see my gynecologist about? I just want to be safe. 

Good question. I have never really kept track of my cycle. I need to start. I started my period on the 27th, however... I never really had much of a a flow and it is chocolate colored instead of red, there has been some red when I wipe, but usually when I wipe. I just kept on getting clumps here and there. My period has been starting and stopping for the past few weeks... :( I've gotten this before. But never this badly...

Can Ovarian cysts also cause many of the symptoms I have been experiencing? I have PCOS so maybe that is why. I was put on birth control for 4 months last year, and my hormones were trying to be fixed. Well maybe now my hormones are all out of wack again and it is causing my PCOS to flare up again.

I have decided to call my gynecologist tomorrow to make an appointment. I ate nothing all day today but I ordered dinner tonight and ate all of my chocolate frosty only to feel full and I am like WTF? I shouldn't be feeling full after that. So of course now I am freaking out that I have ovarian cancer. Today I was incontinent and had to pee every hour, sometimes twice an hour! It's really bothering me because the brown discharge is still happening, I am bloated from the period that never 100% came, and my ovaries are hurting. Like oh my goodness! What the hell is going on and is this caused by PCOS or an ovarian cyst? I'm so scared... I am only 20... 😭 And earlier when I had to pee there was pressure... lord please help me what is going on?

Rachel, 

when our hormones aren’t balanced they do crazy shit and cause a lot of weird symptoms. Trust me I went through it too. It’s definitely a good idea to see your gynecologist and tell him/her your concerns. You’re so young. You don’t have cancer. Just anxiety. 

Frequent urination is also an anxiety symptom. Bladder goes into overdrive and you have to go more often.

Well I hate being a ditz sometimes. My dumb butt was handling bathroom cleaner, like at the restaurants, and I had to go and take people's orders so I don't think I had time to wash my hands, well around 5:30 I left work and got something to eat. I realize the frosty leaked all over my hands and I licked it up. I took two small licks before realizing that my hands tasted bad like cleaner and I was like oh shit! Well then I noticed I started getting itchy and when I went to the bathroom I looked and noticed red rashes and I was itchy and I was like oh no no no! It poisoned me and now I am gonna die because of pure stupidity! I talked to my dad about it and he was like, little kids drink this stuff all the time and they are still here. He told me to let this all go. I should mention that it has been 4 hrs almost since then and I am still here. Is this a good sign? I still itch a little bit but should I rest easy? Will I be okay? Shit every little thing I feel and I feel like this will be the last thing that I am gonna type and that this is my last night on earth. Someone please keep me calm... I took Benadryl earlier but help me... I am trying to keep calm. I hate anxiety. My dad told me I'd be alright... but I hope he is right. I didn't have a lot, it was more like residue anyways since it was on my hands for a little bit of time. I sure hope my mind is just playing tricks on me... 

Your dads right. A couple licks from your fingers aren’t nearly enough to do any damage. You’re just getting rashes Bc you’re thinking about it. Happens to me all the time. Like if you see a bug around you and you start itching at the thought of it being on you. It’s all psychosomatic 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, emma2 said:

Your dads right. A couple licks from your fingers aren’t nearly enough to do any damage. You’re just getting rashes Bc you’re thinking about it. Happens to me all the time. Like if you see a bug around you and you start itching at the thought of it being on you. It’s all psychosomatic 

Emma, Thank goodness My Dad wasn't the only one to have thought that! Well here I am approaching 5 hrs since then almost and I am still somehow here. My sister thinks I'll be okay as well. My sister has actually drank some cleaner once on accident and she is still here. She didn't even go to the hospital for it. She was just okay. And she actually drank some! I also have seen things like my strange addiction and some of these people have drank bleach and they were just fine somehow. I am gonna stay on here a lot for tonight. I am gonna need this form more than ever on my journey to beating this anxiety, mainly hypochondria. So I will probably be up late. Though I do hope I will be able to get some good rest tonight. 

I am going through something similar right now.  However I have uterine fibroids that have come back six years after surgery to remove them.  What I have noticed because I just went through a very bad patch of anxiety in October is that when my anxiety is bad my issues are bad.  I have blood in my urine again, because I have athlete's foot that has caused my toenails to get discolored and I thought I had melanoma, when I am not stressed I don't have that.  I was going through something similar where I was urinating all the time, blood in my urine, periods irregular but the problem is my anxiety.  

On 1/5/2019 at 2:47 PM, mollyfin said:

You've had these symptoms over YEARS.  Aside from extremely rare types of tumors, ovarian cancer left untreated will kill you within a year or two.  A friend of mine went from diagnosis at stage 4 to passing away in less than a year.   

Endometrial cancer, if you're at a high risk for it, is just something you'll have to talk to your doctor about.  Not in terms of diagnosing - at your age I wouldn't worry about it even if you're extremely high risk - but in terms of how to monitor and what to be alert to.  You've been diagnosed with PCOS (and my sympathies, that shit's the worst), so I'm assuming you have a GYN - ask them what the best way to keep an eye on that is.  They may suggest things like yearly ultrasounds once you're at a certain age to keep an eye on your uterine lining thickness.  Endometrial cancer is highly treatable when caught early, and it doesn't tend to grow fast.  

And if you had metastatic endometrial cancer, or metastatic anything, you'd be incredibly sick. 

What were your symptoms with your ovarian cyst?

On 1/5/2019 at 9:00 PM, RachelStorm98 said:

Okay... Kinda freaking out here. I hope some PCOS girls have some insight on this. My lower side has been aching like crazy and when I went to the bathroom I had gravy colored discharge with the consistency of water or chocolate milk. Is this a normal thing for PCOS or is this something to see my gynecologist about? I just want to be safe. 

I got something similar once and was like "Um...what?"  My gf, who has PCOS, looked at me like I was weird and said "I get that every month before my period; you don't?"  So at least for some folks with PCOS, it's normal.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ScardieCat said:

What were your symptoms with your ovarian cyst?

With the one that needed surgery, it was pain.  Just really bad abdominal pain; I'm used to stomach problems, but this wasn't usual IBS stuff and my doctor said to check on that because I tended to get cysts.  Sure enough, that giant thing was in there, and a smaller one on the other side.  Towards the end I also tended to wake up with a dull ache in my side that went away once I peed; I guess it was a full bladder pushing on the cyst.  Never had menstrual irregularities with them.  I've had frequent urination at times as well that my GYN thought was related to cysts since they could find nothing else wrong.  

5 hours ago, mollyfin said:

With the one that needed surgery, it was pain.  Just really bad abdominal pain; I'm used to stomach problems, but this wasn't usual IBS stuff and my doctor said to check on that because I tended to get cysts.  Sure enough, that giant thing was in there, and a smaller one on the other side.  Towards the end I also tended to wake up with a dull ache in my side that went away once I peed; I guess it was a full bladder pushing on the cyst.  Never had menstrual irregularities with them.  I've had frequent urination at times as well that my GYN thought was related to cysts since they could find nothing else wrong.  

I’ve been having this pain as well when I wake up, it doesn’t start hurting until I try to move and then once I stand up it’s hurts a lot but goes right away, only lasts a few seconds. If I’m able to get some gas out before I get up i won’t get the pain but it feels very tender when I try to get some gas out. Could this be from my cyst?

I imagine it could be, but I'm not a doctor.  I think pain with gas isn't unusual in general, though; sometimes it's extremely painful.