Beckii27

Advice needed. Am I the only one?

Hi 

for the last four years I’ve had horrific night sweats. My doctors have done all the investigations and can’t find anything. 

I’ve always known I have anxiety with the way I think. I worry about everything and feel like I’m constantly on the edge. I can turn a small comment I’ve made into a massive deal in my head and worry about it all night. 

Anxiety has never stopped me working or looking after my children so I have never seeked help for it. 

Ive had physical symptoms like head aches, shortness of breath, painful neck and intense night sweats and hot flushes through the day(usually if I’m in an uncomfortable situation) and never associated these symptoms with anxiety. 

Does anyone else suffer with physical symptoms like this? 

On 12/31/2018 at 4:27 AM, Beckii27 said:

Hi 

for the last four years I’ve had horrific night sweats. My doctors have done all the investigations and can’t find anything. 

I’ve always known I have anxiety with the way I think. I worry about everything and feel like I’m constantly on the edge. I can turn a small comment I’ve made into a massive deal in my head and worry about it all night. 

Anxiety has never stopped me working or looking after my children so I have never seeked help for it. 

Ive had physical symptoms like head aches, shortness of breath, painful neck and intense night sweats and hot flushes through the day(usually if I’m in an uncomfortable situation) and never associated these symptoms with anxiety. 

Classic physical anxiety symptoms! I get these ones a lot! If you go into they hypochondria forum, there’s a pinned list of 100+ symptoms of anxiety. It’s crazy what anxiety can do to a body and your mind! 

The short answer to that Beckii is a most emphatic YES. We all do or have at one time or another. That's what this site is about. Anxiety plays so many tricks and we are confused, bluffed and tricked into the belief we have something seriously wrong. It's all smoke and mirrors and has no reality except what we give it. If your doctors have done all the tests and can find nothing then rest assured it is anxiety. Sweats and  all the other symptoms you describe are so typical of anxiety. Now why can't you believe it's anxiety? Because worrying about any little symptom has become your habit. You are anxious and keyed up all the time so any little 'trigger' will set you going. You are sensitised! Now I know you can't ignore the symptoms, they are far to strong for that, but you  should give up any fighting or struggling with them. See them for what they are. Thoughts in a tired and sensitised mind. TRY and accept how you feel without making a big issue of it.  You are constantly on edge because you are anticipating trouble all the time, and that feeds the fear that is always associated with anxiety. Try and accept how you feel for the moment. When you feel panic or anxiety let it come, don't try and force it away which is the natural thing to want to do. Look at the thoughts, ask them what they have to teach you, because anxiety can be a teaching experience. A 'breakdown, can be converted to a 'breakthrough' if treated the right way. It always passes if seen for what it is. Best wishes.

I used to drench my night shirt and bed sheets..... It was bad. Sometimes I had to get up in the middle of the night to shower and change clothes. Now that I have recuperated and fully accepted it was anxiety and panic attacks....guess what?! No more night sweats! I promise you! My mind and sensory system were so out of whack it produced those sensations and physical symptoms. I sometimes had it during the day also, but not as severe. 

Best Wishes and here is to sweat free nights and days! You will get there, it really just takes time, acceptance and some changes. 😀

On 1/4/2019 at 3:25 PM, MsLLL said:

I used to drench my night shirt and bed sheets..... It was bad. Sometimes I had to get up in the middle of the night to shower and change clothes. Now that I have recuperated and fully accepted it was anxiety and panic attacks....guess what?! No more night sweats! I promise you! My mind and sensory system were so out of whack it produced those sensations and physical symptoms. I sometimes had it during the day also, but not as severe. 

Best Wishes and here is to sweat free nights and days! You will get there, it really just takes time, acceptance and some changes. 😀

Thanks for your reply, it’s really quiet comforting to know there’s other people  with physical symptoms. It’s the night sweats that really affect my daily life. 

I hope you don’t mind me asking but are you on any anxiety medication? Medication seems to be working for me at the min but I certainly don’t want it to be a long term fixture. 

On 1/4/2019 at 3:25 PM, MsLLL said:

Jonathon123 thank you for your reply, you seem to know what your talking about and it all makes sense! I just don’t understand why my physical symptoms have only got so unbareable in the last four years. They’ve been the best four years of my life and I’m truly content. Anxiety is the only thing that gets in my way 😩 

apologies if I haven’t replied correctly I’m still getting used to this site 😊

Edited by Beckii27

Yeah, our Jonathan knows all the tricks anxiety plays on us. Sometimes we can be content but we have experienced something in the past that lingers around and puts obstacles in our way. It's best to tackle (accept) anxiety cause it can completely take over ones life. If you take medication or not is really a very personal decision, the people I know on here are split in their opinion, some believe not to take them, and others say it's ok short- term. But the reality ( at least to me is) it's much harder to do it without or to find one that works for you. Then there is some who stay on them for a life-time. You just got to find out what's working for you. 

Best Wishes. 

MsLLL thanks for taking the time to chat to me. No amount of research has answered my questions and I’m already understanding so much more about what I’m going through. 

I only asked about medication because I sort of ended up on it by accident. I have a trapped nerve and the nerve blockers I’m on stopped my night sweats. After a quick google it turned out they’re also commonly used for anxiety too. 

My mum is on really heavy medication for her bipolar and might as well be sedated. I always said I wouldn’t take medication for my mental health as it scares the hell out of me I’ll end up like her.

I’m torn down the middle now I know how different my quality of life is with out the night sweats and wondered if There was anything other than medication that might help. Sorry if I’m going on a bit, didn’t want to offend anyone asking about personal stuff and just felt I should explain. 

😊

You didn't offend, it's totally fine. I think Bipolar and anxiety are two very different mental illnesses. For Bipolar one has to use tougher guns so to speak,  but for anxiety there is a lot of good options out there. A friend of mine who is a Psychiatrist said once: If people with depression or anxiety would understand it's not changing their personalities but bringing out the better, more healthy parts again, a lot would be gained. I think a lot of people suffer and don't need to but on the other hand medication is not a fix -all and there is a lot of other things one needs to do. In my case I was put on a classic anxiety medication when it first started and it didn't help. Please don't think this will be you. That's why Im hesitant posting about it because what works for one might not for some else. But I do think this is rare. 

I have two friends who have been on medication for years with great success. :super1:

• Like 1

I get night sweats before my period. It wasn’t always that way but started maybe 10 years ago I think. Night sweats can be part of what happens during the years before menopause....so if it’s not anxiety and you’re anywhere in middle age-ish it could be hormonal and there’s no danger in that. I turn on a fan when I go to bed. That helps a lot.

This is what my thoughts where when this first started. I sweat most of the month but it is defiantly at it’s worst the two weeks before my period. I’ve had my hormone levels checked, have no other symptoms and I’m only 27 so began thinking maybe my anxiety worsens time of the month.