Kindra

Tension Headache, Pressure, Lightheaded

Hey all, hope everyone had a merry Christmas! 

For the last couple of weeks I have had what I relate to as a tension or stress headache and lightheadedness that comes and goes in intensity throughout the day. All day, everyday. I’m trying not to take a bunch of Advil and Tylenol because kickback headaches really suck! Today my head has a pressure sensation off and on which is tolerable but the all day, everyday tension headache and dizziness is really annoying. Has anyone had this? If so, what did you do to relieve it? I’ve tried getting more sleep, drinking more water, pain relievers, heat/cold. Nothing really seems to help and I’m tired of feeling dizzy. (The off balance feels like everything is about to start spinning but doesn’t, kind of dizzy) Any and all suggestions are welcome at this point in time! 

Hope everyone is enjoying their Christmas break!  

Sounds like classic tension, which can and does often cause dizziness/feeling off balance as well. This happens to me often? Suggestions? Yes, better sleep, better diet and also exercise regularly. Exercise will help release built up tension.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @bin_tenn. Getting the ambition to exercise (even just going for a walk) is hard when your head is hurting! I always forget how much exercise can help symptoms! Thanks for the reminder 🙂

It's also great for releasing excess adrenaline and producing endorphins - both of which will help relieve overall anxiety. I understand though. I'm not regularly active, and it's so so hard to get into any sort of regular routine - even a daily walk.

Me, I suffer from tension headaches and also I have been kind of dizzy for 3 months.... the room doesn't spin . and nothing moves it's more when I move my head I feel in slow motion, don't know how to explain it. I feel boozy.... My ears are clogged.... not sure if it's from that or from neck pain... I should start exercising again... but like you I am afraid of exercising with the headaches and "dizziness" ... but I need to try!

Tension headaches can be awfully painful. I get them right where my eyebrows start and it usually wraps around to the base of my neck/head. Not sure about the dizziness but I'd imagine it could happen with a bad headache.

Something that works amazing for me is drinking something with caffeine. One full glass of coke/Pepsi and in approx 40 minutes it's GONE! I know this probably sounds totally ridiculous but I swear by it and have used this trick for years. 

Sorry, site doesn't always cooperate on mobile... :D

2 hours ago, Leah1976 said:

Me, I suffer from tension headaches and also I have been kind of dizzy for 3 months.... the room doesn't spin . and nothing moves it's more when I move my head I feel in slow motion, don't know how to explain it. I feel boozy.... My ears are clogged.... not sure if it's from that or from neck pain... I should start exercising again... but like you I am afraid of exercising with the headaches and "dizziness" ... but I need to try!

I wanted to point out that whenever I sleep funny and wake up with bad tension in my neck muscles, I'm almost always dizzy-ish when I get out of bed. Once I stretch it enough (gently!) the dizziness tends to disappear, along with the ache.

Hi Kindra! Are you still experiencing these headaches? I have also suffered from what feels like tension headaches for the last couple of weeks. It's a constant dull ache, sometimes in my forehead, sometimes in my temples. It comes and goes, but is always "lingering" if that makes sense. It always feels like it could come back at any time. I was taking OTC pain medication for the first week, and stopped using them because I was worried about rebound headaches. Just wondering if you've found anything that seemed to work for you?

22 minutes ago, melissa0502 said:

Hi Kindra! Are you still experiencing these headaches? I have also suffered from what feels like tension headaches for the last couple of weeks. It's a constant dull ache, sometimes in my forehead, sometimes in my temples. It comes and goes, but is always "lingering" if that makes sense. It always feels like it could come back at any time. I was taking OTC pain medication for the first week, and stopped using them because I was worried about rebound headaches. Just wondering if you've found anything that seemed to work for you?

Mine are still lingering but not nearly as bad. I caved and went for a massage and then straight to a chiropractor. My neck was locked which was a huge part of the problem. My muscles are crazy tight! Alternating hot and cold helps too