seaurch7

Potential heart issue...

Heart fears started up again recently and have been hard to get by. I have had more frequent palpitations and heart races a bit but not very high. 100-110 bpm seems to be the max when I am really anxious. I finally broke and made an appointment with my primary. He had an ekg done that showed that I have Short PR syndrome with a normal QRS. I had the same issue a few months back but the previous provider did not seem concerned. My current provider is unsure about it and is sending me to a cardiologist to investigate further.

There is very limited information on the internet on this with  Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome being the main condition associated with short PR intervals. This seems unlikely because my ekg lacks the delta wave associated with it. However, WPW has fighting risk factors such as sudden cardiac death... that alone has not helped with anxiety and heart fears while I wait for my appointment.

Has anyone had or has a short PR interval?

I had a client who had WPW syndrome and he lived a normal life. 

I don't know much at all about WPW, and I only read a bit about this short PR with normal QRS. I think it's great your primary is referring you to a cardiologist for this, he's looking out for you. He's also covering himself, as cardiology is not his speciality and he'd rather err on the side of caution.

I also find very limited information on your short PR with normal QRS. It seems to be, generally, without consequence. Just go to the cardiologist and talk with them about it. Please let us know what they say. I'd like to know what comes of this.

Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome

WOW!!! You have been Googling haven't you? This one ranks with Mongolian swamp fever and Rocky Mountain Flu!!!!!!!!!!!What next I wonder! You are frightening yourself. Stop Googling. When you are anxious your heart and pulse rate will go up, sometimes alarmingly so. But it's normal. Anxiety spells danger. To be anxious you must be afraid of something even though it may be in the unconscious. Your body prepares itself for the old fight/flight mode. The increased heart rate is to enable you to run faster, away from the danger, as does your pulse rate. You need to go to the toilet to reduce weight to allow a speedier reaction to the danger. Now all this is normal in an anxiety state. But when we get these symptoms we get frightened which perpetuates and increases the symptoms. It's the old pattern Fear/danger/anxiety/symptoms etc. You need to accept for the moment how you feel. Yes, of course get advice, but try not to make much out of nothing. I too would like to know the outcome.

Cardiologist appointment is set for January 8th. I will say its going to be a tough time waiting for it. My anxiety tends to kick in out of now where causing palpitations and my heart rate to increase.

I know googling is usually a bad idea, I was just seeking to get a general Idea since even my primary physician seemed intrigued. From what Ive read the short PR with normal QRS is typically benign.

Today is a tough day. I woke up and felt well. Then at random my chest started to feel uncomfortable, heart pounding and now I think my heart is going to fail. Its not a fun experience.

IMO, it sounds like classic anxiety. Try to hang in there until your appointment on Jan 8. I think you'll be fine.

Update* 

I had my appointment with the cardiologist today. After a brief discussion he had me schedule for an echocardiogram and holter monitor. It will be a few weeks before these tests are completed. So I will have to go so more time with uncertainty of my hearts condition. I will also have the stress of dealing with the financial aspect of the tests. I have a high deductible insurance plan so everything is out of pocket. 

I am hoping for the best but it is tough to wait several more weeks for answers. 

13 minutes ago, seaurch7 said:

Update* 

I had my appointment with the cardiologist today. After a brief discussion he had me schedule for an echocardiogram and holter monitor. It will be a few weeks before these tests are completed. So I will have to go so more time with uncertainty of my hearts condition. I will also have the stress of dealing with the financial aspect of the tests. I have a high deductible insurance plan so everything is out of pocket. 

I am hoping for the best but it is tough to wait several more weeks for answers. 

Don't sweat it. Just go on about your time until then. Try to relax, take it easy. Report any new symptoms to the cardiologist in the meantime, such as if something gets noticeably worse and persists as such. The echo and holter are both noninvasive and they're quick/simple. The holter is only annoying because you go 24+ hours with some leads stuck to your skin with a yucky adhesive. Haha.

Not everyone is like me, but I'm quite curious about health and medicine. When I had an echo a couple years ago, I watched the screen. It's fascinating, IMO.

Feel well soon! Thanks for the update. Please let us know how those tests go when you get the results.