Mrsrpmddo

Palpitations and hearburn

Hi everyone. I’ve had this off and on for years. But lately everything is freaking me out. I started with heartburn the other morning. I drank coffee then palpitations started. I hate this it’s such an  uncomfortable feeling. It’s been two days still happening. I had this a few years ago and it truly lasted two monthes. It’s a little better but still scaring me. Anyone else have this?

Oh yes!!! It's what began my anxiety problem. I wore out many ECG machines :wacko: until I realised it was harmless and the result of irritated nerves and irregular electrical activity to the heart caused by anxiety. If I tell you mine began years ago and I still get them but just let them pass. There is no doubt that coffee will do it, but I still have a cup in the mornings. It's one of the most disconcerting symptoms of anxiety and it can be frightening. I assume you have been checked out by your GP if only for reassurance. I was put on tranquilisers at the time and they do help, but only in the short term. As you calm down, and you will, they will gradually get better and finally, although you may still get them they will not matter. It's the attention you give them which generates fear and keeps them going. Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve had palpitations also for years. But I get anxious over them occurring with the heartburn. Heartburn seems to bring them on. I gonto doctor all the time. She says my heart sounds good. It’s so annoying. Anything I eat starts it . I just hope this time it doesn’t last two monthes. Thanks Jonathan for what you said, you’re always so helpful

If it does last two months so what!! You see, this is the problem. You are scared of them! The sequence is this. You feel palpitations coming. You inwardly panic. 'Oh not again'!! You lay the foundations for more anxiety by being fearful of something that won't harm you. It can be caused by indigestion and having heartburn at the same time indicates that.  TRY and accept the palps without adding 'second fear'. By that I mean letting the first flash of fear come then, taking deep breaths, accept them for what they are. Harmless upset electrical impulses to the heart. IF you add fear to fear you will make them worse. Now I do know how difficult it is to accept symptoms, but it is a way to recovery if you persist. Take it as it comes and console yourself by knowing you have been checked out and your heart is OK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes you’re so right. I’m gonna keep telling myself I’ve had this off and on for 20 years and I’m still alive. Thanks so much Jonathan!!

• Like 1

I have them since my anxiety journey started a few years ago. It used to send me into a panic. Not anymore. It really is just a by-product of irritated nerves and electrical impulses. 

They don't bother me anymore. You will be fine. 

• Thanks 1

I get palpitations frequently with reflux. I also get them regularly if I've had too much caffeine. When they start, that's when I know I've hit my limit. LoL.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Binn. I think we’ve talked about this before. It’s just so strange to me that hearburn causes palpitations. I’ve read that it is common and there’s a reason for it but I’ve forgotton why. Last time I had eaten Mac and cheese and it totally lasted two monthes. 

I don't know. Vagus nerve, maybe? It could also be spasms of the esophagus, but you'd never be able to tell by feel. The heart and esophagus share nerve pathways, so you can't usually distinguish pain from one or the other. Some say reflux/heartburn doesn't cause palpitations, but my primary and cardiologist both think it can (and does for me).

Yes that’s it the vagus nerve. I just don’t get why when I have flare ups with it which is usually only about once a year the heartburn last for so long

It happens. Are you taking anything for reflux, or do you have anything to take as needed? If not, perhaps look at some options, both OTC and Rx.

I’m so scared and phobic of medicine . I really won’t twke anything at all. I will take tums but that’s about it

When my anxiety began I was like that. I would not take any medication because I was convinced that I could 'go it alone'! I now realise I could have saved myself a lot of problems by taking short term medication. There is no 'cure' in medication for anxiety. It can relieve symptoms but that's all. What it does do though is to give you a break from the feelings and allows you time to look at your lifestyle, your way of living and how you react to others. Because, so often, it's unexplained 'triggers' that set it off.  Finding the cause can take time and effort. Medication gives you that time. I am talking about prescribed medication and not the self help kind. Never take any medication unless your doctor approves, even herbal remedies. Mixing can sometimes cause bad side effects. Anyway, what have you got to lose? If the medication causes problems then stop and go back to your GP. There are many forms of medicines that can help in anxiety.

I used to take meds years ago. I would take anything. Then all of a sudden for no reason I can think of,I developed a phobia of allergic reactions. I’m scared to eat certain foods, scared of new lotions , meds a lot of things. I know I need help for this I’ve tried therapy . So far nothing helps. The thought of taking any kind of medicine scares me to death. That’s why when I get sick I freak out so much. It’s somethining I’m terrified of.

1 hour ago, Mrsrpmddo said:

I used to take meds years ago. I would take anything. Then all of a sudden for no reason I can think of,I developed a phobia of allergic reactions. I’m scared to eat certain foods, scared of new lotions , meds a lot of things. I know I need help for this I’ve tried therapy . So far nothing helps. The thought of taking any kind of medicine scares me to death. That’s why when I get sick I freak out so much. It’s somethining I’m terrified of.

Typical anxiety. Do you go to therapy, or self-help, regularly? If not, I highly recommend it (one or both of them).

• Thanks 1

It’s somethining I’m terrified of.

Once again we have the key to the problem in those few words. What does the word 'terrified' mean? What thoughts does it conjure up? FEAR!!!! Our ancestors looked with fear when they saw a big hairy Mammoth bearing down on them. They would go miles out of their way to avoid such an encounter. They became terrified of it happening again. You are avoiding as they did. They had the fight/flight mode, as we have,  and ran like hell when danger threatened. You are running away mentally. The facts are very clear. Very little medication is harmful. Oh yes, I know, there have been some cases of side effects causing problems, but generally they are a benefit rather than a curse. I speak now about anxiety, not any physical complaint. Not being afraid or terrified is not easy, and often counselling is required to help sort out the whys! I still maintain that short term medication can be helpful, but overcoming a phobia about it may take more than just me talking. Counsellors attempt to get to the root of the problem, and if you can find one, or afford one, then it's the best and safest road out. Best wishes.

• Thanks 1

I have tried therapy a lot. They think it’s from a trauma as child. You’re so right about me avoiding. I avoid anything I feel is a threat. Thanks Jonathan, I will give a lot of thought to what you’ve said.