LilyLabVA

multiple swollen nodes- devastated

I can even get my head above water from one thing before another. I have swollen lymph nodes. A few in my neck that I could probably let go but a rock hard one on my scalp about the size of a grape. The occipital node is what it’s called. Yes I have slight post nasal drip and I had a mildly itchy scalp earlier in the week but those things are not new. I don’t even want to go to Dr bc they will just tell me to wait 2 weeks or whatever and come back. 

I’m devasted. Completely drained and I can’t do this anymore. This is several lymph nodes and no obvious cause. Biopsy before Christmas? Great. I’m so lost and drowning.  My family is DONE. I’m in therapy 2x per week but it won’t help if I have a physical issue like that that could be a major sign of cancer!!! 

I was just at my doctor on Monday.... they will think I’m nuts until they feel these lymph nodes....

1 hour ago, LilyLabVA said:

I can even get my head above water from one thing before another. I have swollen lymph nodes. A few in my neck that I could probably let go but a rock hard one on my scalp about the size of a grape. The occipital node is what it’s called. Yes I have slight post nasal drip and I had a mildly itchy scalp earlier in the week but those things are not new. I don’t even want to go to Dr bc they will just tell me to wait 2 weeks or whatever and come back. 

I’m devasted. Completely drained and I can’t do this anymore. This is several lymph nodes and no obvious cause. Biopsy before Christmas? Great. I’m so lost and drowning.  My family is DONE. I’m in therapy 2x per week but it won’t help if I have a physical issue like that that could be a major sign of cancer!!! 

I was just at my doctor on Monday.... they will think I’m nuts until they feel these lymph nodes....

Lily, you are in a complete anxiety spiral. I'm so sorry. Please stop checking your body and looking for things. I have 2 swollen nodes in the back of my neck close to the base of my head. I went to my Dr over it months ago.she said she's not worried.. they will go down and might never go all the way back down and she was right. What caused one was I knicked a mole on my head .. that's all it takes. I'm glad you are in therapy.  It will help. Do exercises at home to also help the anxiety... Hugs. Let this one go please and focus instead on therapy and the holiday.. not your anxiety. 

Swollen nodes are super common and there are about 99% more normal possibilities than bad.  I've had them in my neck before and it took months to fully go away.  Especially heading into colder months... the chances of colds and whatnot goes up a lot.  All that those mean is your body is fighting an infection of some kind.  There is zero indication that it is sinister in any way.  In fact, things like cancer you will notice long before your nodes give it away.  Nothing to be concerned about.  Enjoy this holiday season.  :)

I had constant swollen nodes from scratching my scalp raw.  For what it's worth, I've taken nodes that felt hard to my doctor before and he's said they weren't.  It's possible we don't really interpret "hard" in the same way doctors do, I think.  

Wait the two weeks and see what happens.  Or at least a week, but stop touching and bothering them.  If they don't go down, sure, see the doctor, but even then it's probably an infection.  

Saw NP who is very reputable. She was very good with me. She said my anxiety is manifesting as OCD .... she felt lymph node and said it’s moveable but yes it is firm about the size of a BB, 3mm she said. She is not concerned at this point. Offered blood work but I said not unless she really thinks I need it. Since I had clean labs in September. She said that’s fine with her and that she would never compromise my health.
Asked about fevers or night sweats , none and hope they don’t start. 

Feel somewhat better 

16 minutes ago, mollyfin said:

Firm and BB sized sounds like an improvement over rock-hard and grape-sized!  I'm glad she's not worried.  

I guess my anxious fingers were over exaggerating. 😏 I’m not pleased that it’s “firm” in her opinion, it’s like it doesn’t give or squish at all. Wonder if that’s bc it’s up against the skull bone. Anyway she was more concerned about my mental health than anything else. She didn’t feel the other ones that I can feel. But I have to trust the doctor and let it go. In fact I’m pretty sure she said “yes, let it go” then told me Merry Christmas. 

• Like 1

Lily I love the way you told the NP "only if you feel I need it". That's a big step! You are accepting her word as a professional that you do not need additional blood work. The fact that she said she would not jeapordize your health stands out as well.

• Like 1