Jessica A

Medicines, vitamins, supplements and etc

What is up with separate medicines, vitamins, etc for men, women, children, teens as opposed to all of them being unisex? As for me I just them to be all the same as opposed to them being different. Well, at least for teens and adult health.

Do we really need to take vitamins and supplements all the time? Wondering about this after seeing an article in Mayo Clinic monthly consumer health newsletter at my local library, this afternoon got me thinking about this again. As for me I do take one daily multivitamin for sometime now. I'm pretty much healthy. Try to eat healthy as I can, but do found it hard to.

• Like 1

Food should give you all the vitamens you need so normally supplements are for people with deficiencies. Personally ive found that B vitamens help me feel a bit better with anxiety. My doc told me that B vitamens boost energy levels and because us anxious types burn so much energy being anxious, it can be helpful.

• Like 1

For the most part I think multivitamins are unnecessary. However, I do see specific vitamin supplements useful for some that have deficiencies or cannot get enough of one or a few vitamins from diet. For example, I take a D vitamin supplement because my blood levels keep coming back low and it is not worth the risk of skin c***** to not put on sunscreen in my very strong sun locale. I actually have noticed I feel better in general when I remember to take it regularly.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if this is helpful or not, but I take vitamins that are usually taken by people with the health issues I'm in fear of developing. Like diabetes runs in my family, and I'm always so anxious about getting it, so I'll take cinnamon pills. I figure it can't hurt.

I've heard Vitamin B12 helps with anxiety and depression, but I've never tried it.

Kjscrafts, I have the same trouble. I actually have trouble absorbing three things through food and have to get shots. First, I have to give myself a b12 shot every month. Ick, I hate giving myself shots! It doesn't hurt, but it freaks me out. Second, I get a super vitamin shot once every two weeks that's full of D and other good stuff. I get low on D regardless of what I do. And, finally, my hematologist and I have to keep a close eye on my iron/ferritin levels. They dropped extremely low and I couldn't take a supplement and I wasn't getting it from food so I needed an iron transfusion which was administered through 3 rounds for 3 hours each from an IV. That was a big pain in the butt, but so far they're staying up.

• Like 1

Supplements can be useful for filling in the gaps left by your diet, but the importance of supplements is overstated. Eating whole natural food and exercising regularly is the foundation of health and wellness. Some supplements like omega-3 oil capsules can play an important role if your diet is lacking in omega-3, for example. The only supplements I use are whey protein for post-workout, and a multivitamin.

• Like 1

Men, women and children have different nutritional needs so the vitamin dosages will be different. I don't think we need cabinets full of various supplements but many of them are helpful. Simply asking for a blood test at your doctor can tell you if you are lacking in many of important ones. When it comes to herbal things we have to be sure they don't interact with prescriptions.

• Like 1

I guess we really have to. Because we cannot guarantee ourselves of the complete absorption of the nutrients we need from the food we eat. I don't think there is anything wrong with taking vitamin supplements, one must just be really careful and be sure to take it under doctor's advice. I personally have a daily dose of my Vitamin C. I refrain myself from taking too much medication supplements because I am aware that my liver does all the work with it and I care for my liver the way I do with my eyes. I guess its best if we all go organic!

• Like 1

Hi I've been supplements for years.im only starting to cut them now  as I think some of them are making me sick.

I think it's an anxiety thing as o took some today before work ,thinking it will help me get through the day. 

It didnt help I felt worse.i think I also had a mild panic attack.

I will try tomorrow not to take as much.there is also such a thing as supplement addiction. 

I am going to visit my doctor this week.to let her know what supplements I'm taking.she doesn't know of the ones I take.

Determined to only take the ones that I need.

Thanks

• Like 1

This applies to everyone on supplements. NEVER take supplements with prescribed medication without consulting your doctor first. Some drugs can have a bad effect if taken with supplements. St. John's Wort is a classic example. If you taking it on its own, fine, but coupled with antidepressants it can be a real problem. They usually warn you about this on the blurb in the drug packet.

I think you have to be sue you actually need supplements. Only your doctor can advise on this. In a recent survey carried out it was found that 60% of supplements were unnecessary, but we do tend to clutch at straws when we are suffering. 'Try anything if it gives relief' is the cry!  But we can do ourselves harm if we do it without medical advice. My doctor is not against supplements, but she wants to know what I take, which at the moment is nothing!!

• Like 1

Thank you Jonathan,

Wish I read this post before I started taking all the supplements I'm on now.

I am going to save this post and refer to it throughout trying to wean myself off supplements. 

Thank you so much.