geezer

hypochondria rituals

Do any of you carry out what i call rituals to try and prove you are o/k/

Things like walking heel to toe or walking on tiptoe making sure you can hear alright,hand flipping,standing on one leg etc.I am always doing something and it sends me nuts but i have to do it.Asking my wife to move her finger across my eyes to see if they follow it,is it only me or do others do it?

Been getting whooshing in one ear on and off for 15 months,sounds like the sea.

Best to all geezer.

Yes, this is very common. It's self-checking, and I recommend breaking the habit as soon as possible. It only fuels the cycle of anxiety, despite providing a (temporary) sense of relief.

Self checking is definitely a hard habit to break, but if you can, it is a very solid step on the way to recovery from HA. Try to focus on the present, the "now." That is what helped me. When I figured out I do not need to live for the thing that will eventually kill me, I can live for the movie I am watching, the leaf color change, the time with my wife etc. When that finally clicked, I was able to quit the self checking. 

For what it's worth, I have the same thing in my left each, but for about five years. 😉  I no longer pay it any mind, after a clean MRI. I mostly only hear it when the room is really quiet, which I try to avoid. My other ear has the old fashioned ringing tinnitus from gun fire years ago.

• Like 1

I will echo the same as everyone else.  Self checking is awful to do.  For me, it is twitches in random locations.  I have the tendency to want to stare at the spot and see if it is actually twitching.  The problem is that that puts more focus on it and it tends to worsen.  When I stopped myself from doing that, they don't really happen very often anymore.  

Thank you so much for your replies,my psychologist tries very hard to stop me but i find it so difficult to stop.

Thank you lofwyr for the information about my ear,everything really worries me.The old B/T thing always comes along to scare us silly.

Thanks again geezer.

5 hours ago, geezer said:

Do any of you carry out what i call rituals to try and prove you are o/k/

Things like walking heel to toe or walking on tiptoe making sure you can hear alright,hand flipping,standing on one leg etc.I am always doing something and it sends me nuts but i have to do it.Asking my wife to move her finger across my eyes to see if they follow it,is it only me or do others do it?

Been getting whooshing in one ear on and off for 15 months,sounds like the sea.

Best to all geezer.

OMG are you worried about a brain tumor? I am, and I do these tests probably 10 times a day :( It's exhausting. My doctor had me do some of these tests at the office and told me I don't have a BT but of course, I can't trust what she says and I am constantly checking my balance and coordination. It's crazy :(

Hi Leah1976,

Oh yes Leah i had my doctor doing all the tests,now i am doing them all the time like you it is crazy but i cannot stop it.

A nurse at a/e first showed me what to some years ago,then a doctor at a/e, then a doctor at our surgery.It also drives my wife nuts watching me stand on one leg,walk heel to toe,flip my hands,listen to a clock tick with each ear,touch my nose with eyes shut,stand still with eyes shut and let my wife move her finger while i watch it,i am sure you know them all.

Plus i visit my optician too last time 2 months ago as another back up,do you do this?it sure is exhausting.

Best wishes to you Leah .

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, geezer said:

Hi Leah1976,

Oh yes Leah i had my doctor doing all the tests,now i am doing them all the time like you it is crazy but i cannot stop it.

A nurse at a/e first showed me what to some years ago,then a doctor at a/e, then a doctor at our surgery.It also drives my wife nuts watching me stand on one leg,walk heel to toe,flip my hands,listen to a clock tick with each ear,touch my nose with eyes shut,stand still with eyes shut and let my wife move her finger while i watch it,i am sure you know them all.

Plus i visit my optician too last time 2 months ago as another back up,do you do this?it sure is exhausting.

Best wishes to you Leah .

OMG we could be twins.... yes I do all of these like 10 times a day and have my husband do the finger thing so my eyes can follow.... I also went to see the eye doctor as back up as well 2 weeks ago. She didn't do a full test (didn't dilate my pupils) but I am going back for that.

What symptoms do you have? right now I am so dizzy don't know why, and I have nausea.... I am so scared, don't know what to do :(

Wow Leah my wife cannot believe it someone like me is out there.

Yes i had the dilate the pupil thing slit lamp etc.For sure i am dizzy that is why the doctor had me stood on one leg to see if i would fall over.Nausea oh yes as well i eat but it gives me nausea when i see food i hate this.I am now getting a twinge in my left ear as well as tinnitus it is driving me nuts.

I dare not ask my wife to do the finger thing she is watching eastenders.Scared here too,one week ago i had diabetes told i had not got it felt great for 2 whole hours until this jumped on me for about the tenth time i am at my wits end,please keep in touch.geezer.

Oh man, I self check CONSTANTLY when I'm in a state. 

Lately I've been worried about liver/pancreas cancer, so I would do things like checking the whites of my eye, examining my stool, staring at my urine color, grabbing the fat on my abdomen and examine the curve of my stomach (checking for weight loss and to see if one side sticks out more), and poking around my ribs to see if anything is enlarged. 

The rituals are brutal, and I'm thankful my girlfriend is so kind and supportive instead of running for the hills haha. 

Even though this is extremely difficult to break, it has to be done. My personal experience with rituals is that while you may think you're doing it to make sure the problem doesn't exist, we really do it until we "confirm" our "medical issues". One example, I was examining the toilet bowl water after a bowel movement to check for fat or oil, I had to get so close with my phone flashlight and I seen some clear swirls and specks left over and immediately determined it was oil being passed due to a failed pancreas. In no normal situation would anybody have noticed this, but since it's a ritual of mine, I examine and examine, almost unsatisfied until i "see" what I'm looking for. It's a painful experience I wouldn't wish on anyone.

I agree the self checking is so bad when you are in a current state of HA!  My breast is currently sore - which is most likely due to my period coming due next week and PMS occurring probably now - but I am constantly checking my breasts as they are sore - for lumps for fear of breast cancer.  I also for some reason have been worrying about Inflammatory Breast Cancer and am constantly checking to see if my breast is red, inflamed, swollen, rash or orange peel etc...its driving me crazy but for some reason it is very difficult to break but I agree it has to be done.  I find that I tend to get in these spirals when I am really stressed -- my husband has been in a training course for the past month so its just been me trying to work full-time and take care of my two elementary aged sons.

Hi Hypomania and Jennie048, 

checking becomes a complete obsession,yes i have checked my urine and bowel movements many times.

2 weeks ago i thought i had diabetes and a friends gave me a spare finger prick test monitor drove myself nuts with it until i convinced myself i was o/k,got more holes in my finger than a colander.

It just goes on and on tiring me out.

Good luck to you both geezer.

1 hour ago, Hypomania said:

My personal experience with rituals is that while you may think you're doing it to make sure the problem doesn't exist, we really do it until we "confirm" our "medical issues". 

I'd never thought of this before, but it's SO TRUE.