William

I've been somewhat sick for 3 weeks now

I started off with a cold that gave me a headache a little for a few days and then it was gone.  Over the week the cough still remained.  I was trying to wait it out to see if my body could take care of it, but I guess not.  I didn't wanna go to the doctors cause I have no health insurance, but I guess I have to.   Anyway today my body just experienced a bout of weakness like it did about 3 years ago and the slight cough still remains.  I was at work and I was fine until about the last hour before I got off.

I feel real fatigued like I'm about to fall. I vomit a little bit from time to time if I'm moving a lot.  I'm scared because I've never had a cough last this long to my knowledge.  My chest slightly hurts for a few seconds from time to time.   Does this sound like the flu or pneumonia to anyone?  Has anyone had a cold or cough last longer than 2 weeks?  I feel my anxiety is making this really worse. 🤒

Hi. William.

It is suggested that a cough can last as long as three weeks or even longer after a bout of flu or a bad cold. It would be advisable if only for peace of mind to have a check up. Also, feeling as if you are going to fall and feeling nauseous are common anxiety symptoms. If you had a cold then got the cough symptom it could be an anxiety habit.  What I mean is that the idea of a cough being something worse than the aftermath of a cold will make you have a 'nervous' cough.

Does this sound like the flu or pneumonia to anyone?    I feel my anxiety is making this really worse. 🤒

Not to me it doesn't because, with either of those complaints you would be physically ill and there would be no doubt about it. But I'm no doctor and, as I said, have a check up. Yes, your anxiety is making it worse. But that's what health anxiety does. It blows up any symptom out of all proportion, and we are so easily fooled into thinking something is seriously wrong. We are so vulnerable to suggestion. That's why it is foolish to Google symptoms. Try and get a medical opinion to ease your mind, but also try to accept the symptoms without giving them too much credence.

• Like 1

I had a cough last 6 weeks one winter. The doc said the viruses were really bad that year and it would eventually clear up. She told me to use the neti pot and Flonase and eventually the cough went away. 

Ok, now I don't feel so bad guys.  In fact not thinking about it makes me not cough all that much. I went to the doctor and they listened to my chest, heart etc and couldn't find anything.  I didn't know coughs can last that long.  I hate being sick with anxiety, just can't always tell what's going on or what's real.