Sign in to follow this  
enidoreilley

Climate change and panic attacks

I had a full on panic attacks last night after reading a few articles about the climate. I am still very anxious and I'm on a good amount of Ativan today just to keep myself from completely coming apart. 

Anyone else? Any words of encouragement? I always try to stay positive - we are humans! We cure diseases and explore space and understand how our own brain works! But that isn't helping me now. I feel like I'm going to wake up from a bad dream. 

On 10/15/2018 at 3:27 PM, enidoreilley said:

I had a full on panic attacks last night after reading a few articles about the climate. I am still very anxious and I'm on a good amount of Ativan today just to keep myself from completely coming apart. 

Anyone else? Any words of encouragement? I always try to stay positive - we are humans! We cure diseases and explore space and understand how our own brain works! But that isn't helping me now. I feel like I'm going to wake up from a bad dream. 

I think that comes from us wanting to control everything.. from our health to our environment. My friend grounded me from watching the news when the bird flu was a big topic. I had a full on panic attack. Stocking up.. wouldn't leave the house. After she grounded me lol it really helped to not add more crap on my plate I can't control.... there for I don't worry about it..it's avoidance yes but like I said.. I'd rather avoid it than have more stuff to worry about. Hugs. 

• Like 1

I've honestly started taking alarmist rhetoric with a grain of salt. There's been disaster looming just around the corner since I was a kid. When I was 8 I was convinced I wouldn't survive my teenage years. In the '60's the big scare was overpopulation. But food production increased faster and there are fewer hungry people today than in the 60s. Hyperbole spurs action, and that's why people use it. But that's true of good hyperbole too, like predictions that say we'll have pills that can make us live to 200 in 10 years or whatever are probably not true either. And I've seen respectable publications claim this. My point is the future will probably not be that different, for better or worse. 

• Like 1

While the climate itself is not something I fear, I agree with @Hollson limiting  news. There’s sooooo much drama and fear on the news every day. I stay informed. I have my views. I want to be a responsible member of society ... but sometimes we just have to limit our exposure to all the drama. Remember that bad news keeps people around for more ad dollars. Perhaps I’m stupid, but at this point I have to balance the bad with the good. So I end up watching the hallmark channel, reading cozy mysteries and playing FarmVille.  Hey I gotta do what I gotta do to make it through the day. Lol hang in there, we’ll all be ok. Don’t worry.