Sign in to follow this  
enidoreilley

Lung Cancer fears

Back again! I have been doing better with health anxiety lately - mainly because I have had so much more urgent stress to deal with. 

Just a little bit of background - I have a couple diagnosed conditions that cause very real symptoms for me daily. I was a hypochondriac before I was ever developed or was diagnosed with these conditions. I have pseudotumor cerebri which is high intracranial pressure because of too much cerebrospinal fluid (CSF). I also have chiari malformation which is bit of my brain that presses out through the base of my skull and may impact the flow of CSF. Kind of a chicken/egg situation there. Because of these I have severe dizziness/lack of balance and coordination, brain fog, nerve pain, temporary blindness, fatigue, and lightheadedness.

I have also had shortness of breath periodically over the past couple years as my symptoms have worsened. It usually comes and goes and I have tended to attribute it to all of my other crap, but TBH, when I go to the Drs, the shortness of breath usually winds up taking a backseat to 1) all of my other going-blind/falling down issues and 2) my health anxiety fixation du jour.

But I have been short of breath and have had difficulty teaching because of it for a couple weeks now. I went to my GP the other day with that as my primary complaint, but she shifted the focus of the visit to my dizziness and I didn't really notice we hadn't discussed my shortness of breath until after I left.

Now I am obsessed with lung cancer. My back hurts and I find myself having to take deep breaths all the time to get oxygen. I often have stabby pains in my chest and back when I take a deep breath. I am so worried that I have been so focused on all of my other health issues, which, while real and diagnosed, are not going to kill me, and then I'm going to get some aggressive lung cancer that will kill me.

I tend to get worried this time of year, and also when I start trying to conceive. My husband and I have recently decided that we want to finally start trying again after 2 miscarriages for our second child and I have found my anxiety flaring up in all areas of my life and I am thinking this may have something to do with that...? I just want to spend time with my wonderful family. I love them and I am so scared that illness will take me from them.

Thanks for reading my book. I'm just trying to decide if I should bug my GP again. I am resisting every urge to send her a message that just says ORDER ME A CHEST XRAY

If it's been going on over the past couple of years, if you had lung cancer, you'd be crazy sick by now.  

I’ve had shortness of breath off and on for about a year.  I feel like over breathing can cause nearly ALL of the symptoms you are experiencing.  I know it’s a very uncomfortable feeling, but try to relax.  Google some different types of breathing (box breathing, alternate nostril breathing, etc.).  It can help a lot.  Hope it gets better soon.  I’m pretty sure you don’t have lung cancer, though I always think that too!