Sign in to follow this  
AnneBoleyn

I'm having a bad day. Child and fevers

So this morning when I woke up my daughter she was cool as a cucumber.  Then right before we were to leave for school I took her temp and it was 98.9.  I then took it again and it was 99.4.  I took it again and it was 98.6.  WTF is going on?  Why would her temperature fluctuate like that?  I mean does that mean she has a fever?  She is perfectly fine in every other way.  I'm terrified she is sick in some way and I don't know.  I don't want to bring her to the Dr if it's nothing.  But how can I be sure it's nothing?  Is it normal for temperature to fluctuate like that?  I mean if it doesn't stay then it can't be a fever right?

My little girl did the same thing a few months ago. It was right after a vaccine she had. Doctor said temps can fluctuate after a vaccine. I asked if could ever happen randomly. He said depending on what your child is doing the temp can go up and down a little bit. Since your daughter's temp is all within a degree I wouldn't be alarmed.

Thermometers are funny like that, especially the digital ones. I never got the same reading twice. Ever. Those differences aren’t significant in my opinion and they are certainly not feverish in any way. Don’t even take her temp unless she feels warm to the touch or complains about being warm. She is fine!

Honestly, probably your thermometer.  They're not the most reliable things in the world.  Especially ear thermometers, but I've had the same issue with oral ones.  Anything under 99.6 is considered a normal temperature.  

1 hour ago, mollyfin said:

Honestly, probably your thermometer.  They're not the most reliable things in the world.  Especially ear thermometers, but I've had the same issue with oral ones.  Anything under 99.6 is considered a normal temperature.  

Where did you hear that?  I use a temporal thermometer.

I'm really freaking out.  I took my meds but I'm still super anxious.  I dropped her at school and I came home and cleaned my house.  But now that I have to go get her my anxiety is coming back.

My wife and I have a temporal, head and an ear thermometer. They rarely will give the same temp. And they even vary amongst themselves. When we scan her head it will say 98.9 and go right back over and it will say 98.5.

Where did I hear that thermometers are unreliable?  Call it anecdotal evidence after 35 years of trying to find one that gave the same reading twice in a row.  Where did I hear that 99.6 is the bottom cutoff for a fever?  Various doctors.

I wouldn't worry about that temp change I know mine fluctuates a lot. I would related try to not over take her temp. It could worry her. :( I know you are anxious about it but try to not pass the anxiety to her.