Sign in to follow this  
mollyfin

Probable thyroid cancer (my back is okay though so that's something)

It's LITERALLY ALWAYS SOMETHING.  

Got my MRI back, spine is about what I expected; shows some arthritis, some disc herniations, some stenosis, nothing life-shattering.  So that's good.  

But the bilateral thyroid nodules I've had for about eight years now are showing concerning growth that is extremely suspicious.  I had them biopsied years ago and it came back benign, but it looks like that wasn't the case after all.  I was supposed to be monitoring them but just kind of forgot about them over time.  

I know that thyroid cancer is very treatable, but I just don't want to be dealing with this.  I'm so tired of things going wrong with my body.  And people DO die from thyroid cancer.  I'm mad at myself for dropping the ball on keeping an eye on it (in my defense no one told me that there was still a chance it was or could become cancerous, but as a hypochondriac I should've known that!)  And I don't want to face surgery again.  And now I'm worried that my unexplained hip and shin pain is bone mets, which could be the hypochondriac in me, but right now I feel like I've earned that.  I'm just tired.

Hi Molly, I am so sorry you are going thru this. However, I think this is better news than expected? Not sure If I should even said that. One of my best friends just went thru the thyroid cancer treatment. Like you she had nodules for years and years and had them biopsy twice, all benign. But all the sudden they became cancerous. She got her thyroid out and did a radiation treatment with a pill and that was that. She is taking meds for the rest of her life and she is doing great! If there is cancer to get is thyroid... it's extremely treatable!! take a deep breath all will be fine! When are you meeting with your doctor?

Yeah I guess if my choices were bone cancer or thyroid cancer, I'll take thyroid.  I wasn't able to get either doc on the phone today - the doctor called with the scan results after their office hours - but my GP has a message to call me back tomorrow (he wanted the info on my neuro appointments anyway) and I'll call the endocrinologist in the AM.  Not sure if I should schedule an exam first or just schedule a biopsy because technically I already had an imaging test done on it, just not a great one 😛  (The entire thing isn't visible since they weren't aiming for it).  

Does your friend have any idea how long they were cancerous before she had them out?  That's my main concern; it's possible I've had this for years, giving it plenty of time to spread around and do whatever it wants.  I've had a hoarse voice for years, which concerned my endocrinologist, but since my last ultrasound three years ago showed little to no change, I figured that was that.  

17 minutes ago, mollyfin said:

Yeah I guess if my choices were bone cancer or thyroid cancer, I'll take thyroid.  I wasn't able to get either doc on the phone today - the doctor called with the scan results after their office hours - but my GP has a message to call me back tomorrow (he wanted the info on my neuro appointments anyway) and I'll call the endocrinologist in the AM.  Not sure if I should schedule an exam first or just schedule a biopsy because technically I already had an imaging test done on it, just not a great one 😛  (The entire thing isn't visible since they weren't aiming for it).  

Does your friend have any idea how long they were cancerous before she had them out?  That's my main concern; it's possible I've had this for years, giving it plenty of time to spread around and do whatever it wants.  I've had a hoarse voice for years, which concerned my endocrinologist, but since my last ultrasound three years ago showed little to no change, I figured that was that.  

Maybe a couple of years, I am not sure, all I know if that she did biopsy that was negative and told her to get checked in a couple of years and when she did they grew did another biopsy and it was cancer... however, you have to wait to have another biopsy right? It could still be benign, so this is not for sure yet. Let's pray for negative, but you should probably take it iust just in case.

1 hour ago, mollyfin said:

I don't think you can schedule a biopsy.. your Dr will do that..after you talk to them regarding what they found. Did you talk to anyone today about your results?

My endocrinologist does the biopsies in-office.  I'm not sure that I can schedule one without him doing a regular exam first but I'm going to try.  I wish he also did in-office ultrasounds, but one out of two isn't bad, considering!

19 hours ago, mollyfin said:

I'm just tired.

Oh @mollyfin...First, hugs. Second, just because something looks concerning doesn't mean it's anything bad. Life is a kick in the pants, isn't it. This is why those of us with HA deal with HA...often times it's because of SH***t that we've been through. Sigh... 

If it is the worst case scenario...know this. I have a friend who had thyroid c and is is doing great and that was...like...25 years ago...maybe longer. When I met her she had long ago gone through treatment...The only downside is that she takes synthetic thyroid now as her thyroid was removed entirely but that's not a huge deal...it's just a little pill. So that's the worst case scenario. But we're not claiming that. We're claiming complete health - total health.

Anyhow, please keep us posted as I will be praying for you. xoxo

Also know this. Even palpable thyroid cancers have a 98% cure rate. Cancer is a scary word, but not all cancers are created equal. Some are readily treatable and cureable.  My mother had a large, softball sized tumor on her adrenal gland. They removed it, and it was cancer. But her surgeon said they see those all the time, and that often times those cancers grow so slowly they sometimes take 20 years to even be problematic, and even then they are not generally dangerous. He said often times they are just found when looking for other issues. She is fine.

The point is, worst case scenario is really not that bad, and that is assuming it *is* the worst case. Try to hold on to some hope it isn't, and remember, cancer is not the death sentence of 40 years ago.

Well, worst case is bone mets, which can kill you pretty easily even with the "good" thyroid cancers, but hopefully that won't be something I have to deal with.  Hopefully if mine is cancer it's of the "taking its sweet time to grow" variety.  I have no idea how much it's grown and how fast.  Can't recall how big they used to be.  Having a nodule on either side and a hoarse voice are red flags, so I'm pretty mad that I was never told I'd need a repeat biopsy.  I assumed benign meant, you know, benign, and that was that.  Waiting to hear back from my GP - he wanted to talk to the doc who ordered the MRI before sending me to an endo.  But if it takes more than a few days I'm just going on my own; sitting around waiting isn't going to help me.  I know waiting a few days on top of several years makes no difference, but mentally it does.

1 hour ago, mollyfin said:

but mentally it does.

Indeed it does...good for you. You got this and we're here if you need to vent. Continued prayers and hugs.

Additionally, as an aside I know two people who had it, and both were completely cured. Not to say it can't be potentially serious, but I will keep a thought that this is nothing, and if it is, that is easily treated like the majority of others.

Still  waiting for a referral to get everything scanned.  My GP is having trouble getting my MRI results from the neuro, which he wants to look at before he does anything else.  I'm losing my mind but I guess since I've waited all these YEARS, a few more weeks won't make that much difference.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mollyfin said:

Still  waiting for a referral to get everything scanned.  My GP is having trouble getting my MRI results from the neuro, which he wants to look at before he does anything else.  I'm losing my mind but I guess since I've waited all these YEARS, a few more weeks won't make that much difference.  

ok thanks for the update! Praying for a good outcome!!!!!