Sign in to follow this  
Vandelsrock21

Feels like food is stuck in throat again

Hello HA family. I am sitting in bed once again focused on my throat thinking its cancer even though i have alot of tests done.  Today numb feeling in throat right side only. Driving me bonkers. Than eat dinner throat feels numb so it makes it hard to swallow and thus feels like food is stuck. I am so stressed out about this not because it's just one but because its been months of this.  Honestly i feel like a am waiting to not be able to swallow or breath. I am scared and feel so alone. Not fun at all.

Thats called Globus Hystericus and is happening because of your focus on it.  Your throat sphincter is over tightening.  It's very very common in anxiety sufferers

I have this for over a month now, went to ENT and he looked at my throat with camera and everything looked good.  I have it on and off.... I am trying not to pay attention to it. Good luck!

• Thanks 1

I've had feelings off and on for years of my throat not being able to swallow...like for over 30 years. I've been told it's anxiety..exactly what @Mark G mentioned Globus Hystericus.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mark G said:

Thats called Globus Hystericus and is happening because of your focus on it.  Your throat sphincter is over tightening.  It's very very common in anxiety sufferers

I had read about that but no one seems to have it as long as me thats the real concern

2 hours ago, PennyPanic said:

I've had feelings off and on for years of my throat not being able to swallow...like for over 30 years. I've been told it's anxiety..exactly what @Mark G mentioned Globus Hystericus.

Numbness feeling too?

9 minutes ago, Vandelsrock21 said:

I had read about that but no one seems to have it as long as me thats the real concern

Globus is the result of anxiety and stress so can continue for as long as you're in the same state and fear the symptom.  There are no time limits with anxiety

• Thanks 1

Oh that is the worst! I am sorry you are going through that. When I had my first really bad bout with health anxiety, I didn’t eat much for 3 or 4 weeks because it felt like I couldn’t swallow & like my throat was closing up. I went to the doctor, had a scope done & all came back normal. It took a few weeks and some relaxation exercises to get back to normal. There are so many different sensations when you swallow something & I think our hypersensitivity and being so in sync with our bodies works against us in these situations. Try gargling some salt water or drinking some warm tea while you relax. That might make it loosen up a little & feel better. Hope you feel better soon! 

Hi everyone, I have experienced this as well. I definitely think we are super aware of our bodies and the sensations we feel. We can experience all sorts of uncomfortable symptoms for as long as we continue focusing our attention on them. It's hard to distract our mind when it's in a constant state of fear but if we do not attempt to free ourselves from these demons (anxiety) then we can feel all sorts of disturbing sensations. Hope you feel better soon.