Vandelsrock21

Sore muscles/body all the time

Hello all. Not about oral cancer go figure. So for a year now i have been getting sore muscles for no reason. If i do something like bend over and hammer on something my muscles hurt forever. I am getting floaters in my eyes like crazy. I am my eyes are really effected by the sun light or bright color's. I am tired all the time.  So i am half way in the als rabbit hole. I know its unlikely but i find it hard to believe its stress and anxiety. I feel like doctors blsme it on anxiety when they are stumped. I never believe the doctors but yet i keep going.  Super hard time dealing with this.  Thanks for listening.

Muscular tension and your fearful reaction to them are causing all of the symptoms, even the eye floaters.  If your muscles are being prevented from doing their job correctly, they will throw out all sorts of symptoms.  Muscular tension of the eyes will mess up interpretation of what you see.  I assure you, this is stress and anxiety.

• Thanks 1

ALS is a pretty big leap.  First of all, anxiety can cause these issues, or in some cases, make you super aware of these things you wouldn't even take note of if you weren't anxious.  A person without anxiety would probably notice new eye floaters and think "Huh, that's weird," and get on with their day.  Those of us with anxiety, though, worry immediately that it's a sign of something deeper.

And supposing for now that these aren't anxiety based symptoms, there are so many minor common things you could be dealing with.  Muscle pain and weakness can come from a herniated disc and/or trapped nerves (they can cause pain in strange places, too!  But especially in arms legs and back), age-related spinal degeneration (no idea how old you are; but as we get older our discs wear out and we can be prone to bone spurs and things irritating our spines; usually no need to worry unless the pain gets unbearable), certain common deficiencies like potassium, benign essential tremor (a lot of us anxiety folks have that!), having a crummy mattress, sleeping wrong, straining a muscle doing something like lifting incorrectly, just plain being out of shape...

As for the floaters, again, dude, I dunno how old you are, but those are just things that happen.  I've had giant ones since I was a kid - my eyesight is crap and I assume those things are related.  I had an ophthalmologist comment on the one I refer to as "the Titanic" - it looks remarkably like a sinking ship as it slides through my vision, and it looks massive from my POV - but it was just a "Huh, would you look at the size of that" comment.  He also told me that if I ever suddenly have a flood of new floaters all at once, like a curtain coming down over my field of vision, to get to an ER right away because that signifies retinal tears; otherwise, floaters are a harmless part of getting older.  In my case, I guess I started getting old in the fourth grade!  I think nearsighted people are more prone to floaters because of how our eyes are shaped - if you have usual vision problems, that's probably where yours came from.  Could also explain your photosensitivity, which could (like everything else) also be anxiety. 

ALS is a terrifying disease, but it's also quite rare, and doesn't present with things like cramping or feeling wobbly after vigorously hammering something.  If you had ALS, you wouldn't be able to pick up the hammer.   I'm not a doctor, so take what I'm saying  with a grain of salt, but ALS is a common fear here, and as far as I know, no one's actually been diagnosed with it.  It could happen, just like anything else could, but the odds are very small.

• Thanks 1

mollyfin is spot on with everything.  Nothing you've mentioned sounds like ALS.  I've had the same shit, and was afraid it was the same issue.  Eventually I grew out of it.

When we're anxious, we stay tense.  That causes muscles to act weird.  You get tired from doing normal stuff, but it's just because your body is working in overdrive.  That's also why you're so tired; whether you realize it or not, you're running at 110% constantly right now.

You don't have ALS.  Also, The Vandals DO rock.

FOUR THREE TWO ONE ZERO MINUS ONE STOP

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cbhaga01 said:

mollyfin is spot on with everything.  Nothing you've mentioned sounds like ALS.  I've had the same shit, and was afraid it was the same issue.  Eventually I grew out of it.

When we're anxious, we stay tense.  That causes muscles to act weird.  You get tired from doing normal stuff, but it's just because your body is working in overdrive.  That's also why you're so tired; whether you realize it or not, you're running at 110% constantly right now.

You don't have ALS.  Also, The Vandals DO rock.

FOUR THREE TWO ONE ZERO MINUS ONE STOP

Another vandal fan awsome. Thanks for the advice. I know its crazy.. thanks molly fine helped me alot. And you to mark g. Thanks you guys.

As an anxious person, I always have sore muscles and when I wonder why, I take a good look at that moment and find I'm tensing every muscle in my body. No wonder why they hurt, my body is always on guard. As far as the floaters, mine have been driving me nuts! I've had them my whole life, but my recent issues w anxiety and starting a new med (lexapro) has made me focus on them a lot more. I saw eye doc Friday who pretty much said exactly what molly fin did. I am awake now at 1am wrong this because I woke up anxious and thought my lips were numb🙁They are not...but I'm feeling all kinds of stuff now that I'm up alone in a quiet house.

Sore muscles is not an als symptom. It's so common for everyone to have sore muscles. I'm on my feet walking and moving for 5 hours every week day and I go home with sore crampy feet and calves. 

Epsom salt baths help so much.