Sign in to follow this  
armeade25

Blood results have me nervous

Hi everyone,

I've been MIA for a bit taking some time away. I just got a call from my Dr's office (receptionist) with my blood results - the receptionist told me to up my vit. d (which I was expecting, it's usually low) supplement intake, and that I shouldn't take iron supplements if I was (I was not). That made me super nervous - what would they have seen in my blood to prompt that instruction? I'm kind of freaking out but trying to remain calm. The reason I wasn't worried about a specific type of blood cancer (polysomething vera) was because last time she tested my blood (last summer) I was anemic. This summer I'm not, apparently - so the itching on my back and the head jolts and jabs when my body overheats COULD be because of the disease I was scared of before!!!! UGH. I just don't know what to do. The receptionist had no more information for me at all so I'm just stuck following her instructions and worrying.

Please don't jump to conclusions just yet -- if I were you -- I would schedule an appointment with your doctor to go over your results.  The sooner you can speak with him and get all the information -- the better.

28 minutes ago, Jennie048 said:

Please don't jump to conclusions just yet -- if I were you -- I would schedule an appointment with your doctor to go over your results.  The sooner you can speak with him and get all the information -- the better.

I AGREE.... is there a way to email your doctor? I have an email system with mine and is awesome, otherwise, I would call her or go for a visit so you feel better. good luck!

It’s also worth remembering, if there were signs of a serious disease/cancer, the instructions wouldn’t just be to change supplements. They would be calling you straight back in for follow ups and treatment options.

try not to panic :)

• Like 1

I wish my doctor would email! But no, I have to wait to see her on the 26th. I keep wondering if maybe she's just missing something looking at the results. :( 

1 hour ago, armeade25 said:

I wish my doctor would email! But no, I have to wait to see her on the 26th. I keep wondering if maybe she's just missing something looking at the results. :( 

If you don't go back until the 26th, there is nothing to be concerned about. Lab numbers are occasionally "off", it's not abnormal. I've had a few different numbers be off before. They're always normal when follow-up testing.

• Like 1

I feel like it can't be a coincidence that my intolerance to heat (because of itching and headache) wouldn't be part of PV? It's a blood cancer with no cure (you can live with it, however) but I have almost all the symptoms. Just nervous. 

53 minutes ago, armeade25 said:

I feel like it can't be a coincidence that my intolerance to heat (because of itching and headache) wouldn't be part of PV? It's a blood cancer with no cure (you can live with it, however) but I have almost all the symptoms. Just nervous. 

You are self diagnosing :( if your Dr was worried about cancer you would be back before the 26th. Hugs. You are healthy. My iron was a little low at my last appt. 

• Like 1

I guess I just don't see why she'd have the receptionist tell me to stop taking iron...when I wasn't in the first place. Makes me nervous that my RBC was high (I believe that's how they see iron? I could be wrong). I'm really freaking out. 😭

59 minutes ago, armeade25 said:

I guess I just don't see why she'd have the receptionist tell me to stop taking iron...when I wasn't in the first place. Makes me nervous that my RBC was high (I believe that's how they see iron? I could be wrong). I'm really freaking out. 😭

Don't you have access to your lab results either in your patient portal at your doctor's office or on the lab website? I can access my results both ways.

I actually said I didn't want access to my results this time because I was so worried last time. 😭 Now I wish I asked for it. 

1 minute ago, armeade25 said:

I actually said I didn't want access to my results this time because I was so worried last time. 😭 Now I wish I asked for it. 

I know this is hard but I wouldn't over analyze or second guess your drs and the blood work. 🙄 I promise if your Dr was concerned you would be back sooner and the Dr would have called, not the nurse. I would take a deep breath and know that your readings are fine and your Dr isn't concerned so you really shouldn't be either. When my nurse calls with results I immediately get relief Bec I know if it's not good I'll be hearing my drs voice on the other end. 

• Like 1

I'm hoping maybe my iron level was just normal so she doesn't want me on supplements? I'm worried she just doesn't want to scare me but there's something potentially worse going on. 

3 hours ago, armeade25 said:

I'm hoping maybe my iron level was just normal so she doesn't want me on supplements? I'm worried she just doesn't want to scare me but there's something potentially worse going on. 

They aren't going to withhold information just because they "don't want to scare you." If anything were concerning, you'd be told.

• Like 1

It was late on a Friday so I just wonder if she has more to tell me. Although the receptionist at the rheumatology clinic said she couldn't see me until the end of October. I'm seeing my GP on the 26th so I'll ask to go over my blood results then. 

I've basically already diagnosed myself with Polycythemia Vera of course 🙄🙄🙄 I've been sick feeling all weekend partially from anxiety and partially from the heatwave we've been having. My headaches go crazy when my body temp goes up. 

I'm afraid but I don't want to be. You're all helping me see the rational side so I thank you for that. ❤️

You've obviously been to Google. 😮 No, you're fine. Again: they would NOT wait to tell you if something was obviously seriously WRONG. Even if it's late on a Friday.

• Like 1

I have been on google. 😭 The part that scared me was that I haven't been on supplements but she seemed to believe I was. I guess you're right though that even if something was slightly off, she'd look further into it. I hope so. 

She didn't think you were taking an iron supplement. She told you not to take it IF you currently are.

• Like 1

If you were low on iron last summer and were taking iron supplements maybe it’s still showing on your file that your taking them and she was just letting you know that you don’t need them anymore. I don’t think you have anything to worry about. 

• Like 1

I can't sleep. I'm so anxious about this. I'm getting stabbing pains in my feet and worrying that it's part of PV. I'm so embarrassed to call my doctor back again tomorrow but I'm losing my mind. 

6 hours ago, armeade25 said:

I can't sleep. I'm so anxious about this. I'm getting stabbing pains in my feet and worrying that it's part of PV. I'm so embarrassed to call my doctor back again tomorrow but I'm losing my mind. 

Don't be embarrassed. You're scared, and that's ok. Tell the people at the doctor's office that you want some clarification on the lab results you were given. They'll explain what they meant and you'll feel better. 

Continuing with Ashley's line of thinking above, they might be concerned with you getting too much iron if you were taking a supplement, especially since you were anemic before. If your red count is fine now, your doctor probably wants to play it safe and get you off any extra iron you may have been taking. Nothing sinister at all. 

• Like 1

I put a call in to my GP and Rheumatologist both whom have blood results from me in their systems. I'm hoping someone calls me back today. I'm extremely nervous and have essentially written myself off as dead. 

• Like 1