Sign in to follow this  
Holls

Root canal.. worried about infection

Happy Friday everyone. 

Mon afternoon I got a root canal. My dentist told me after the procedure that I still had some inflammation/infection. I was put on 3 days of antibiotics.. I tried to use that side of my mouth yesterday while eating and afterward had some pain. It's still sore this morning.. I will say most of the pain feels like where the deading shots were. I calledy dentist office to see if this was all ok but of course they took the day off lol. I'm scared i still have an infection. I am also frustrated with my anxiety Bec I'm over focusing and I do think I'm creating pain and feeling normal sensations where I wouldn't normally question. What do y'all think?? 

Also I feel like I'm a little stuffy on that side like a slight sinus issue.. but it comes and goes and I also work at a preschool so that could easily be me about to get a cold. Most teachers were out this week. 

You definitely have no reason to worry, IMO. After I had a root canal to prep for a crown a while back, I was on an antibiotic for 5 or 7 days. It's perfectly normal.

• Like 1

Ugh, I'm sorry to hear about your root canal, Holls. I believe it's normal to continue to feel pain after a big procedure like a root canal without any underlying infection. Even my most recent wisdom tooth extraction was sore for close to a week, and it was only partially impacted. You probably aggravated the surgery site by trying to chew on/near it, too. 

I say baby that side of your mouth for awhile and give it a chance to heal up. It'll feel better every day. Hang in there!

• Like 1

Hi Holls. My daughter had a root canal. She was sore and had pain for at least a week. Anytime o get shots in my gums the area hurts for awhile. The antibiotic will keep you from getting an infection. Try not to worry. I hope you feel better soon❤️

• Like 1

Thanks !!! I did call the dentist office and the dentist called me back. He thinks I bruised the area trying to eat on that side. I asked how could I tell if it were infected.. he said it would be throbbing and the gums would be swollen. I feel like I have sinus issues on that side and I hate that feeling. Makes me feel like something is wrong. My ear is even hurting a bit. I did tell him all of that. He said to take Advil but he didn't want to do antibiotics since he didn't feel it was infected. at my root canal appt when he said I still had a little infection, I knew I was going to worry about it this week. :(