Sign in to follow this  
Leah1976

Heightened sense of smell???

Hello do any of you suffer from this? Is this an anxiety symptom? I started about 2 weeks ago when taking lexapro again... I stop taking lexapro because I thought it was causing the high sense of smell and my smells diminished.... but now I am not so sure, today my sense of smell is high again... I can smell everything so strongly, people's breaths, flowers, weird smells on air conditioners, etc. My anxiety is out of control.... I googled this symptoms and it's called hyperosmia and it's rare.... please please anyone has had this?????????

I have always had a keen sense of smell. Thanks to a lot of gunfire in my youth, my ears are shot. My eyes have been bad for ages, my sense of touch is all right, but my smell and taste, which are related, are really keen. 

I am not sure there would be anything to be concerned about. I had never heard of hyperosmia, but it is not even serious, it is really just a condition that makes your sense of smell more sensitive. I can't imagine it is a huge worry, other than being occasionally gross due to overwhelming bad smells.

I get that at times; I think it may be hormonal but I'm not sure.  Given how much anxiety I tend to have, it wouldn't shock me if that were the cause, but I've been assuming hormones all this time.

am SO scared, I google and said it could be something bad in my brain.... I have been having headaches and nausea... now I am a mess.... I am trying to rationalize.... nausea could be my gatritis and headaches could just be tension, but I am really freaking out right now :(

Hi Leah. I constantly have the heightened sense of smell. My husband gets so frustrated with me cause I’m always saying do you smell that. I can smell stuff no one else can. I really think for us anxious people everything is overly sensitized for us. Your headache is cause you’ve been worried about this and that’s probably the reason for the nausea. I’ve had this for years . Try not to worry. Hugs

1 hour ago, Mrsrpmddo said:

Hi Leah. I constantly have the heightened sense of smell. My husband gets so frustrated with me cause I’m always saying do you smell that. I can smell stuff no one else can. I really think for us anxious people everything is overly sensitized for us. Your headache is cause you’ve been worried about this and that’s probably the reason for the nausea. I’ve had this for years . Try not to worry. Hugs

Thanks for your post. When did it start for you? Did you even discuss it with your doctor? I made appointment with my doctor tomorrow to go over this. I am so scared.... this is a very rare condition....

I’ve had it off and on for many years. Im also very sensitive to sounds. No I have t ever mentioned it to my doctor. It’s good you’re going. I’m sure the reassurance that you’re ok will help you to feel better. I  bet you you’re fine. Let me know what the doctor says. Try not to worry. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve thought for sure I had something very sinister. It’s never come true though. Anxiety mak es our minds go to the worse and most drastic scenario. I’ll be thinking of you .

Good morning, my appointment is at 9:00 am EST I am freaking out because now I feel lightheaded.... could it be because I couldn't eat much yesterday due to the anxiety????? I am soooo scared there is a T... in my brain :( I can't believe I am going thru this again. I went thru the tumor scare about 4 years ago due to daily headaches... got a clean MRI and moved on.... but now the fear is back, but I have other weird symptoms and that's why I am freaking out :( wish me luck please.

UPDATE: I DON'T HAVE A BRAIN TUMOR, I DON'T HAVE A BRAIN TUMOR, I DON'T HAVE A BRAIN TUMOR..... BIG BOLD AND LOUD! 

My family doctor is SO nice and put my fears to rest. She said if I had one, which I don't, I would know it clearly and would have other strong signs. She told me to stop googling styuff, it's the worst. She did a neuro test which I passed 100%. She said all my symptoms are due to anxiety and that I should go back to the lexapro. So I refilled my meds and she also gave me 15 pills of ativan if I need them thru the first week of lexapro. But told me not to get used to the ativan, can be addictive. Then I should wait a few weeks on lexapro to see if my sense of smells returns to normal, and then I should go to ENT if the sense of smell still off but said it's nothing sinister. She said I have allergies and I should use my spray. Other than that I am good. I went for 1 hour walk with a friend and I feel SOOOOO much better. Thank you all for your support!!!!

And forgot to add that I started therapy yesterday and I really liked my therapist and she told me I can get better!!!!! Have an anxiety free weekend everyone!

• Like 1