rrleeder

OCD health anxiety please help

rrleeder    12

Hey all I was diagnosised with ptsd, gad, panic disorder,now I find out that it's been OCD this whole time. Health anxiety as they call it now a days. Has taken over my life. I'm scared every symptom i have from my anxiety or just about everything is a rare deadly disease . I've been to ers constantly the past 2 years n doctors.. I've had every test under the sun. Everything comes back as a healthy 36 year old woman. But I need reassurance all the time. But the relief of the reassurance only lasts too long then I'm back thinking it's something else. I have other rituals but it's mostly my thoughts are the issue. I'm hypersensitive to feelings in my body n in hyperalert all the time. It's taking over my life I am on meds. N just started seeing an exposure therapist. Anybody out there like this. I'm scared I'll never get my life back. Please help.

Mark G    873

That post pretty much sums up HA in someone and also syncs with my experience.  I think an issue the doctors create is labelling conditions, there are so many abbreviations these days that it can create validity for anxiety. That's not to say that diagnosis is not important and that being able to tell different strains of anxiety is not helpful but in your case, you were labelled with 3 different conditions which turned out to be something else, so you would ditch the first 3 labels and concentrate on the 4th and so on.  The truth is however that all of these conditions fall under the same category, a thinking disorder.  They are all linked together and they are essentially manifestations of the same issue.

You have answered a lot of your questions in your post.  You recognise the hypersensitivity and the reaction to thought.  The fearful reaction to the thought  is where all of your symptoms and continuing thought processes come from and are fuelled by.  Anxiety needs fear to exist, that's it's enabler.  Fear reduction is the key to reduced symptoms.  You need that reassurance because you're fearful and reassurance is interpreted as being the only relief you have.  That is until anxiety sends out a 'what if' and you react to it fearfully.  If you did not react to the 'what if' fearfully and accepted that it's there and that it's part of anxieties process, you would not fear it as much and in turn the thought would lose it's intensity and drop away.

Anxiety only exists in it's elevated state if you fear it and feed it with adrenalin.

MARC    53

My concierge internal medicine physician told me many people have fears of disease and getting sick and his patients either worry excessively or blow the symptom off and say it can't happen to them, but only to someone else. He said it is best once you get the worry, to get it taken care of and not continue to worry about it. He said to me for example, if you have chest pain, you would go to the ER and after it is taken care of, you forget about it and put the worry to the side. He said this is the most healthy way to handle worry.  Of course it can be easier said than done. 

Missy2626    168
12 minutes ago, MARC said:

My concierge internal medicine physician told me many people have fears of disease and getting sick and his patients either worry excessively or blow the symptom off and say it can't happen to them, but only to someone else. He said it is best once you get the worry, to get it taken care of and not continue to worry about it. He said to me for example, if you have chest pain, you would go to the ER and after it is taken care of, you forget about it and put the worry to the side. He said this is the most healthy way to handle worry.  Of course it can be easier said than done. 

MARC, I LOVE that piece of advice from your concierge physician!!  Thanks for sharing!

Mark G    873
20 minutes ago, MARC said:

if you have chest pain, you would go to the ER and after it is taken care of, you forget about it and put the worry to the side.

Oh if only it was that easy right?  It may help in the short term but if the worry is deep seated, the worry would spring back up again or mutate to another ache or pain.  Having said that, anything that helps is a bonus.

• Like 1

DoxieMoxie    30
On August 2, 2017 at 2:56 PM, MARC said:

I'd be the last to criticize any approach that works for an individual.  But I suspect that this would not work for me and a lot of people with HA.  Although my HA primarily focused on neurological diseases, it tends to mutate between different symptoms and body parts a lot.  If I followed that approach, I would be at the dr all the time. So while that approach may work for someone with normal concern, it would be oil on the fire for me. 

• Like 1

MARC    53

I wish I could follow his advice more often myself. 

DoxieMoxie    30

Thinking some more about it, I bet the doctor's advice may work for someone with the variant of HA who fears going to the doctor to find out they have a serious illness.  But not so much for those of us who would run to the doctor with every symptom.  

• Like 1