DavrosTy

Not been diagnosed with anxiety yet, so a bit worried

DavrosTy    0

Hi all, I will try to be as brief as I can so nobody reading loses interest. I've read the list of anxiety symptoms which I feel I tick a lot of boxes in. So, I was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation in February and lost my dad a week later. Initially I experienced some odd head/eye symptoms and borderline panic attacks which gradually passed after his funeral.

The night before I'm due to go back to work 5 weeks later, I have a panic attack which seemed to set me back a bit. Week or so later, I had another and ever since I've had all manner of strange symptoms.

Saw my GP recently for a number of these, and I'm also due to have ablation for my afib but while I'm a little nervy, I'm actually looking forward to that getting me back on track. GP referred me to a bereavement councillor but I don't feel like I'm showing any outward signs of grief.

Anyway, I've had many unusual things happen from weak arms and legs, trembling, scalp crawling, shortness of breath, feel that I can't take in enough air, etc. Most of these have occurred during full blown anxiety attacks or in situations when I've been able to take my mind off it and sort of 'push it back down'.

Last week I saw my GP as I had many of the symptoms of a UTI. All tests came back clear, in the meantime what had felt like an enlarged prostate resolved itself in a matter of days. Bizarre.

On top of this, for the past few weeks, I've had a feeling of weakness in my neck, slight dizzy/woozy feeling if I move my head too fast and slight blurry or 'off' vision. At time I've almost felt a bit.. detached? Along with this, I've had brief instances of shortness of breath. But last night I got really freaked out, as after taking a quick pee I came back to bed feeling really odd, head really foggy or dizzy and as I was trying to get to sleep I started to experience a weird 'inner' trembling in my neck, across my shoulders, I'm my forearms and legs. Also had a weird trembling or quivering sensation in my stomach/lower chest. On waking this morning, I still felt quite weird and really just so exhausted. My arms and legs still feel a bit funny and I have a slight, dull ache in my forearms.

That was slightly longer than I intended. Any thoughts?

DT

Strassette    1

I am sorry you are going through all of these medical issues on top of losing your dad! That is a lot all at once. I am really sorry about your dad. Loss is never an easy thing. Grief can come out in all kinds of ways, sometimes through physical symptoms. Have you had any further tests done to look further into what these symptoms could be related to? It may be helpful to talk to your doctor about looking into it further to rule any other medical issues out. In the meantime, seeing a bereavement counselor may be a good thing! It is possible that your symptoms are related to grief and a counselor could be helpful in processing things.

Not having the answers of what is going on could be scary. Do you have supportive people around you that can be helpful to you as you go through this?

Keep hanging in... one day at a time! Good luck!

DavrosTy    0
8 minutes ago, Strassette said:

I am sorry you are going through all of these medical issues on top of losing your dad! That is a lot all at once. I am really sorry about your dad. Loss is never an easy thing. Grief can come out in all kinds of ways, sometimes through physical symptoms. Have you had any further tests done to look further into what these symptoms could be related to? It may be helpful to talk to your doctor about looking into it further to rule any other medical issues out. In the meantime, seeing a bereavement counselor may be a good thing! It is possible that your symptoms are related to grief and a counselor could be helpful in processing things.

Not having the answers of what is going on could be scary. Do you have supportive people around you that can be helpful to you as you go through this?

Keep hanging in... one day at a time! Good luck!

Thanks for your reply. It hasn't exactly been easy but I've never really felt like I was outwardly struggling. My body seems to have other ideas though. It is becoming quite debilitating at the moment. I've managed to struggle through the past few weeks and had my pre-procedure appointment for my ablation next week today and I'm now off until then. It's my birthday tomorrow, so I could really do with a few days free from this! ha.

I do thankfully have plenty of support from my wife and mum. Both have struggled with anxiety/depression at some point in their lives, so they can definitely empathise. Sometimes though, when these things are occurring to you, nothing anybody says can reassure you unless they are proving to you medically that nothing is actually there.

I am planning to try and get an appointment with my GP or a nurse tomorrow - way to spend my birthday, eh? - to discuss the head/neck based problems and go from there.

Strassette    1

I hope the GP appointment went well... AND that you had a happy birthday, able to celebrate beyond going to the doctors :) ... You are blessed with support of people that understand part of what you are going through.. that can be rare. I understand what you mean, however, when sometimes no one can say anything that makes you feel better. Those are the times that it just seems like you have to push through until you are able to use the support that people have given... these are the hardest times of course! 

I am glad you have some time off to rest before your procedure! Good luck with everything!