Holls

Urinary tract inf

12 posts in this topic

Hi all.. I need some advice please. 

I went to a quick Care last Fri for a UTI. I just felt off and knew I had one. Sure enough I did. She prescribed me macrobid (I've never had that for past UTI) so today I woke up feeling just as bad as I did last Fri. I went back and now I have blood in my urine.. (can't see it without a microscope) so she sent me to the hospital with my urine sample so they can run a culture.. it's going to take three days .. they want to see what antibiotic will treat the bacteria they grow.. 

I'm a little upset.. I am hurting really bad I feel like crap.. I wish she would just give me cipro or augmentin.. so now I have to wait three more days with no help.. 

So I was thinking about going to a quick care in a town close to me and not say anything about my culture and get them to prescribe Cipro or augmentin.. what do y'all think????????? 

I'm at my wits end here. 

I usually get Cipro when I have one. My mom has  one last week and got bacterium. So you have a primary care doctor you can go see? That's what I woild do. 

41 minutes ago, FunWithFive said:

I usually get Cipro when I have one. My mom has  one last week and got bacterium. So you have a primary care doctor you can go see? That's what I woild do. 

I'm allergic to sulfur drugs so I can't get bacterium.. but yesss, Cipro would knock it out.. yes I usually go to my PCP but she is 40min away (we moved but I still see her) I thought for a simple uti I would just go to a quick care.. well I made a mistake of calling my Dr and talking to the nurse.. she said since I'm not responding to the antibiotics they would culture it too.. and that just adds three more days to my wait.. this must be a new thing Drs do Bec before I would just get prescribed a diff antibiotic.. I did get some tetracycline from my dad, he orders it on line. It's an old antibiotic not used very often anymore but it should knock it out. 

I think waiting three days with zero antibiotics is nuts. 

1 hour ago, Holls said:

I'm allergic to sulfur drugs so I can't get bacterium.. but yesss, Cipro would knock it out.. yes I usually go to my PCP but she is 40min away (we moved but I still see her) I thought for a simple uti I would just go to a quick care.. well I made a mistake of calling my Dr and talking to the nurse.. she said since I'm not responding to the antibiotics they would culture it too.. and that just adds three more days to my wait.. this must be a new thing Drs do Bec before I would just get prescribed a diff antibiotic.. I did get some tetracycline from my dad, he orders it on line. It's an old antibiotic not used very often anymore but it should knock it out. 

I think waiting three days with zero antibiotics is nuts. 

If a doctor didn't advise you to take the Tetracycline you probably shouldn't take it. Antibiotics aren't to be taken lightly. They have side effects and resistance is becoming a problem. I understand you aren't feeling well, but they're doing a culture for a reason. There are over the counter meds to help with symptoms until you see what the culture grows. I don't mean to sound uncaring here. I just cringe about improper antibiotic usage. I have had C Diff three times so I'm a bit sensitive. Sorry! I do hope you don't hurt yourself and get better soon!! 

2 people like this

Uti's are the worst so I really sympathize. Three days is also a long time to suffer. If it were me, I doubt I could be in agony for that long and would likely make a new appointment/get a new script. At least then you can discontinue if it isn't sensitive to your infection and take an appropriate one.

For now, drink lots of water, stay away from sugary drinks and see if you can take an over the counter  product like Azo to control your discomfort.

1 person likes this

I used to get a uti twice a month starting when I was about 4 years old and my sister and mom would also get them just as much. They totally suck! I haven't had one for two years now it's a total miracle. I started drinking a gallon of water a day and I no longer eat any kind of dairy. Best decision of my life. Something to think about if you are prone to them! Nothing ever helped with the pain except for drinking literally as much water as I could without getting sick (within reason). Hope you are feeling better by now good luck

2 people like this

4 hours ago, Cb1993 said:

I used to get a uti twice a month starting when I was about 4 years old and my sister and mom would also get them just as much. They totally suck! I haven't had one for two years now it's a total miracle. I started drinking a gallon of water a day and I no longer eat any kind of dairy. Best decision of my life. Something to think about if you are prone to them! Nothing ever helped with the pain except for drinking literally as much water as I could without getting sick (within reason). Hope you are feeling better by now good luck

Thank you,  I don't drink enough water I hardly drink anything all day long. I have up'd my water like crazy. 

I'm glad that you haven't been having them, that's awesome. I do need to keep drinking the water even when the UTI is gone. 

10 hours ago, Chantsy said:

Uti's are the worst so I really sympathize. Three days is also a long time to suffer. If it were me, I doubt I could be in agony for that long and would likely make a new appointment/get a new script. At least then you can discontinue if it isn't sensitive to your infection and take an appropriate one.

For now, drink lots of water, stay away from sugary drinks and see if you can take an over the counter  product like Azo to control your discomfort.

I did get the azo and they helped the cramping and some of the back pain. Man this is a bad bad one. !!! Yes, as soon as I hear from the Dr I will take whatever antibiotic she prescribes but I'm worried waiting the three days could make it worse and it could turn into a kidney infection. 

I'm drinking tons of water, nothing else.. I miss my coffee lol. 

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, Stephanie said:

If a doctor didn't advise you to take the Tetracycline you probably shouldn't take it. Antibiotics aren't to be taken lightly. They have side effects and resistance is becoming a problem. I understand you aren't feeling well, but they're doing a culture for a reason. There are over the counter meds to help with symptoms until you see what the culture grows. I don't mean to sound uncaring here. I just cringe about improper antibiotic usage. I have had C Diff three times so I'm a bit sensitive. Sorry! I do hope you don't hurt yourself and get better soon!! 

No she didn't advise it but this Dr. Thinks I have kidney stones too.. I don't I've had blood in my urine when my UTI gets bad.. I told her that and she said I really think it's kidney stones. Ughh. As soon as she gets the results from the culture I'll take the antibiotics she prescribes. I agree that antibiotics are over used.. I'm just really scared that if I let the UTI get out of hand I'll get. Kidney infection and i don't want that. Idk if there is a way to cure these without antibiotics.. mine was already a week in when I went to see her so I don't think it would have helped at that point. I used to have chronic UTI when I was younger.. I forgot how horrible they are. 

I'm sorry that you have had c diff.. I know a little about them.. I would ask more about it but I worry a lot, especially when I already feel sick. I hope you never have it again. So sorry. 

1 person likes this

17 minutes ago, Holls said:

No she didn't advise it but this Dr. Thinks I have kidney stones too.. I don't I've had blood in my urine when my UTI gets bad.. I told her that and she said I really think it's kidney stones. Ughh. As soon as she gets the results from the culture I'll take the antibiotics she prescribes. I agree that antibiotics are over used.. I'm just really scared that if I let the UTI get out of hand I'll get. Kidney infection and i don't want that. Idk if there is a way to cure these without antibiotics.. mine was already a week in when I went to see her so I don't think it would have helped at that point. I used to have chronic UTI when I was younger.. I forgot how horrible they are. 

I'm sorry that you have had c diff.. I know a little about them.. I would ask more about it but I worry a lot, especially when I already feel sick. I hope you never have it again. So sorry. 

I'm sorry I forgot to mention this last night but have you heard of D Mannose? It's supposed to be for urinary tract health. That's something you can google and not scare yourself! I've heard lots of good things about it. It may not stop an infection that's far in, but if you have chronic UTI's it may work to help prevent them. Also YES you need to drink a lot of water. I do and it helps flush everything out. Also may help to prevent UTI's. I understand your fear of it spreading but if your doc was really concerned I think she would've prescribed something before getting the culture back. I am constantly worried about getting infections too, especially since C Diff. It scared me so bad that I am terrified of needing an antibiotic. Like I said, they're not to be played around with. I was told by an infectious disease doctor I had to see for C Diff to never take antibiotics unless there's an absolute must and if possible to get culture and sensitivity tests done for any suspected infection. The key for someone in my case especially, is to try and avoid the broad spectrum antibiotics. Don't let anything I said worry you. Keep in mind that this stuff the doc told me is for someone in my situation. Feel better and please keep us posted! (((((HUGS)))))

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Stephanie said:

I'm sorry I forgot to mention this last night but have you heard of D Mannose? It's supposed to be for urinary tract health. That's something you can google and not scare yourself! I've heard lots of good things about it. It may not stop an infection that's far in, but if you have chronic UTI's it may work to help prevent them. Also YES you need to drink a lot of water. I do and it helps flush everything out. Also may help to prevent UTI's. I understand your fear of it spreading but if your doc was really concerned I think she would've prescribed something before getting the culture back. I am constantly worried about getting infections too, especially since C Diff. It scared me so bad that I am terrified of needing an antibiotic. Like I said, they're not to be played around with. I was told by an infectious disease doctor I had to see for C Diff to never take antibiotics unless there's an absolute must and if possible to get culture and sensitivity tests done for any suspected infection. The key for someone in my case especially, is to try and avoid the broad spectrum antibiotics. Don't let anything I said worry you. Keep in mind that this stuff the doc told me is for someone in my situation. Feel better and please keep us posted! (((((HUGS)))))

Thank you, you are so sweet. I agree I did jump the gun .. I should have waited..my health anxiety has been higher than normal here lately so my mind goes to extreme stuff.. like it going to my kidneys and honestly I never thought about my dr not being concerned over that :( I called the lab and they are hoping it will be done this afternoon if not for sure tomorrow. 

I have heard of d mannose .. I do not want this to become an every month thing like yes before. I'll look it.il some more and see where I can get it.😀

On 5/19/2017 at 8:50 AM, Stephanie said:

Ok finally have an update.. I had to call the quick care this morning.. a new Dr was there I told him everything he said let me call you in a  new antibiotic.. I said ok but why didn't we do that Wed? Then he said we let me call about the culture.. he called back and said no bacteria great.. that sometimes when you are on antibiotics and run cultures the results can be skewed and make a false negative and he out me in a new antibiotic.. this was nuts ..at least now I know to demand a new antibiotic right then and there and not wait.. I'll never go back there. Made me love my Dr even more. :( Thanks everyone for helping me and letting me vent!!! 😘😘😘😘

1 person likes this