Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cutecat25

Is it normal to feel this way after a vacation?

6 posts in this topic

So early this morning I got back from a 3 week vacation in Canada and the USA.
This trip has been on my bucket list for the past 5 years, and I finally bit the bullet and decided this was the year I was going to do it, despite my anxiety.

The entire trip I just couldn't accept what was happening was real.  I had to keep pinching myself, because the experiences I had just felt too good to be true.

I'm home now, and I feel so low. I keep randomly crying, and everything seems unfamiliar, even my bedroom.

I had an amazing time, and am so proud of everything I achieved (including a 15 hr flight alone), but I just hate that today I am feeling so awful.

Why does this happen? When something good happens in my life, I cant accept it's real, and then once it's over I get extremely emotional.

Has anyone else felt this way?

14 minutes ago, cutecat25 said:

So early this morning I got back from a 3 week vacation in Canada and the USA.
This trip has been on my bucket list for the past 5 years, and I finally bit the bullet and decided this was the year I was going to do it, despite my anxiety.

The entire trip I just couldn't accept what was happening was real.  I had to keep pinching myself, because the experiences I had just felt too good to be true.

I'm home now, and I feel so low. I keep randomly crying, and everything seems unfamiliar, even my bedroom.

I had an amazing time, and am so proud of everything I achieved (including a 15 hr flight alone), but I just hate that today I am feeling so awful.

Why does this happen? When something good happens in my life, I cant accept it's real, and then once it's over I get extremely emotional.

Has anyone else felt this way?

I used to feel that after really fun vacations I was so sad it was over.. and maybe the freeing feeling you feel on vac is so good that when you go home to the room that you worry in.. realty sorta slams you and it's emotional. You aren't alone. Good for you though for traveling and doing things you have always wanted to do!!!! Just remember you aren't alone with how you feel.. but also remember how awesome you are to have had an amazing trip!!!! 

Many people would be afraid to fly for 15 hours, so that is an accomplishment in itself to be proud of!!!

1 person likes this

Sometimes when we've been away on vacation for more than a week I feel very down when we come back home. Some call it post vacation blues. I think when you're on vacation it's almost like you're living in a fantasy world, I mean, you don't have any responsibilities, you're spending money on things you usually wouldn't, you're staying in a nice hotel, you don't have to cook, clean, pay bills etc... So I always find it difficult coming back to "reality" and in some ways, at least for myself, I can even kind of escape my worries and anxiety while I'm on holidays, at least for the most part! (except the flying bit ;)

This also sounds like something you had been planning for sometime so it's normal to feel down or even emotional that it's now done. They always say that kids cry on Christmas Day after all the gifts have been opened because there's been so much anticipation and then suddenly it's all over.

1 person likes this

Thankyou for your replies! It's been a rough week, I know I should be grateful for the experience, which I am! But I just cannot help but feel down and confused. I thought this trip would help me find myself, but it's actually done the opposite. I'm now more confused about the direction of my life, than I was before my trip. 

I loved Canada so much, i've even been considering the idea of living there for a while, but that idea terrifies me, more than it excites me.

I guess i feel so low, because i'm 24, and I had a lot of hope that this trip would help me decide what to do with me my life, now i'm absolutely clueless as to where i should go from here. 

No idea. What's a vacation?