Sign in to follow this  
Stephanie

Couple questions re:Caltrate about stool

Stephanie    37

I've been taking Caltrate for almost a week because I read that Calcium supplements could help with IBS-D, which I have. Does anyone know if Caltrate can cause lighter colored stools? I get panicky that it could be a liver issue! The first few days the Caltrate had a constipating effect which didn't bother me, but yesterday and today I've been to the loo twice. It hasn't been diarrhea but they've been good sized stools. Sorry for TMI!!! Maybe I'm just a bit backed up from the Caltrate and being more on the constipated side from last week?? Also, do any of you get nervous if you go number 2 more than once a day?? I don't worry about colon cancer but am scared to death of possible infection/colitis. This all stems from having C Diff in the past. Any replies and info are appreciated! 

mla1209    2

Can't say much about Caltrate. I remember taking it when I was pregnant but didn't notice any changes to my stool. But I can totally relate with feeling nervous whenever I go more than twice a day, regardless if my stool is solid or loose. I've been so used to going once a day, usually in the morning, so when I feel another urge in the afternoon or at night, I start worrying. In my case, I'm also afraid of having IBD, colitis or Crohn's. It was suspected thar I could have one of these but my follow up colonoscopies ruled them out. But still, it's never escaped my mind. I also don't want this fear to affect my life. As it is, I've avoided a number of social gatherings in fear of my stomach acting up unexpectedly. 

I know this has so much to do with my anxiety as well. I hope you feel better and the lighter colored stool was a one time thing. 

RJ26    9

I'm pretty sure if you're having diarrhoea a few times a day it might be worth checking out but there are days when I have a bowel movement 2-3 times. I enjoy it though because I often have issues with constipation. I've actually read before that the most healthiest bodies will have a bowel movement after every single meal they consume. (mind you there are SO not many people in this world who have such incredible bodies!) So I wouldn't worry about having more than one bowel movement a day. Especially if they seem healthy otherwise -normal colour, normal texture. I don't think you have anything to worry about :) 

Stephanie    37

Thanks for the replies everyone! I've had a couple of days when it's been a more normal color so I'm not so worried about that anymore. However I do think my hemorrhoids are irritated because I've had some blood off and on in the stool and on the TP. So now my anxiety is high over that. I haven't had diarrhea in two weeks so the Calcium is helping with that! Knock on wood! I know I have hemorrhoids but still panic when I see blood! Ugh!!