Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JANES0809

Internet good or bad for agoraphobia?

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, 

I am new to the forum. I'm a student from London and am in need of some help.

I have been reading up a lot about Agoraphobia recently as a very close member of my family suffers from Anxiety.

I would love to learn more with regards to how you use the internet to help, and, if you think that the internet has been a burden or a life saver to you. Has it helped you socially?

Please feel free to privately message me. 

Thanks in advance!

I suffer with agoraphobia and I do believe that the internet become a mental crutch it has for me anyway instead of facing life I am setting online staying hid and not making myself face the panic head on and letting my health get worse by the day now if someone can manage to work on their panic and agoraphobia and then set time limits on the use of the internet then that is great but for me it isn't happening we have to face the fear head on and get ourselves better because DR.GOOGLE and other sites are not going to cure us we have to walk out that door and take baby steps to get better,

Wish you the best!!

the internet is important to me because it does provide opportunities to exchange support and fellowship with fellow sufferers of anxiety and depression. it's a tool. tools aren't inherently good or bad. it's in the using that they become constructive or destructive. the internet certainly can be a trap or a crutch because of the opportunity it provides to avoid engaging with the outside world directly. so we have to be careful and mindful about the way we use the internet. but that's true of so many things. sometimes we may need to set explicit boundaries. in all cases, self-compassion is essential. we don't help ourselves by beating ourselves up. it's okay to do some internet. we're all trying to get through this difficult thing -- life. just try to be mindful.

My internal medicine and GI physicians told me to stay off the internet when it comes to self diagnosis of illness as the internet in many cases shows the worst case outcomes.